Which Wilton Springform and Chicago Metallic Pans?
Posted: 02 November 2009 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

Hi all,

Which Wilton Springform is the best for the Orange Chiffon Cake as recommended by Rose?  Is it this one:

2109-5354 which has a waffled bottom,

or this one?

Recipe Right Springform Pan

which doesn’t look as though it has a waffled bottom but has a non-stick finish?  It still looks light im colour, although I can’t be sure.  I assume non-stick is not good for chiffon layers.  Since the cake has to be unmolded right away anyway, would it be ok to use a 9x3 inch loose-bottomed Magic Line instead of a springform?

Would it make a difference to the cake if the springform pan were SHINY and light instead of dull and light?

And, for the Chicago Metallic Pans… would it be correct to get the Commercial pans which are uncoated, instead of the Professional line, which are coated with non-stick material and therefore have a dark finish?

Posted: 02 November 2009 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Uncoated, non nonstick is best for chiffon.  3” high.  Springform is recommended because you need to cool the cake upside down in the pan and the bottom will make sure it won’t fall, but I have tried chiffom cakes with just a regular pan lined with parchment and worked, didn’t fall off when cooling, so I suspect a loose bottom pan would work, too.

Waffle pattern doesn’t do any thing critical.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 02 November 2009 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

Hector…I’ve been wondering too. Which pans are best for butter cakes?

Posted: 03 November 2009 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Excellent section on cake pans in the new book, Rose’s Heavenly Cakes, pp 465-471.

Posted: 24 November 2009 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi gpears,
I just received some magic line cheesecake pans (removable bottoms) and was comparing with my Wilton cake pans…no comparison.  The interiors are the same dimensions, but the Wilton pan is acutally smaller on the outside…just an observation of the thickness of the pans.  And…the Magic Line pans bake so much nicer than the Wilton.  I do have 9” round chicago metallic professional pans…I do find they bake slightly faster, even though Rose suggests not adjusting oven temp…this usually means the cake is done right at the start of the suggested bake time (that’s with the cake strips).  I regret the purchase of most of my Wilton pans…mostly purchased as that was all that was readily available.

Posted: 25 November 2009 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-04

I did buy some 9” chicago metallic professional pans. Have only used them once so far, but i really like them. No regrets there. I’ve never liked the look of the Wilton pans.

Posted: 25 November 2009 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Are those Chicago pans 9 x 2” - do they make 9 x 1.5”??

Posted: 25 November 2009 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-04

My pans are 9"x2”. I’m not sure if they make them in any other height. I got mine at Bed Bath Beyond…do you have that where you live?

Posted: 25 November 2009 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Thanks!.  Unfortunately we don’t have Bed Bath Beyond here. I would have to try and import from the UK.

Posted: 25 November 2009 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-04

Would you like me to try to send them to you? If so, send me a private message w/ some contact info.

Posted: 25 November 2009 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Thank you so much for the offer!!!!

I have contacted a UK Chicago pan supplier Headcook and am awaiting their info. Our big problem here is mail theft.
Amazon US no longer deals with us due to this. This means everything has to be air couriered which makes it hugely expensive particularly from the US.  When I order on line locally with SA firms everything has to be hand delivered by private courier firms to my front door.

Posted: 26 November 2009 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I’m a Magic Line cake pan fan.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 26 November 2009 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Hi Patricia - We can’t get them in S. Africa and the UK doesn’t seem to stock them either. See how lucky you US bakers are!