Golden Almond Cake (2-12” Layers) Formula Help
Posted: 03 November 2009 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-11-03

Hi Everyone, I’m new to this site but have been baking from TCB for many years.  I can’t wait for Rose’s Heavenly Cakes to arrive any day.

I’ve been asked to make “an old-fashioned almond tasting wedding cake” for someone’s birthday.  My first thought was to make the Golden Almond Cake (page 37 in TCB).  The cake needs to be 2-12” layers.  I’m having a little trouble with the formula and I was hoping someone could help guide me. I don’t see a base formula for a cake with sour cream or ground almonds and I’m not sure how to multiply these ingredients for the size cake I need.  Which cake base formula should I follow and what about the eggs?  The recipe for the Golden Almond Cake uses whole eggs.  The formula for a yellow base cake uses only egg yolks.  Should I follow the formula for the yellow base cake?  I’m finding this utterly confusing.  Or, is there another cake I should consider and just add ground almonds and almond essence to the batter resulting in a lovely almond tasting cake.  Also, any flavoring recommendations for the mousseline buttercream?  I was thinking of almond liquor but I don’t want it to be almond overkill.  I plan on decorating the sides with toasted sliced almonds.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted: 04 November 2009 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

You’ll be happy to learn that a variation of the Golden Almond Cake is already translated into 2- 12” layers in RHC, p. 399.  All you have to do is omit the lemon oil and lemon zest and substitute almond extract. 

I think Amaretto mousseline would be divine, but then I love nuts.  Chocolate and raspberry are wonderful with almond.  There is a chocolate almond ganache in RHC which might be lovely for a filling (it has chopped almonds, so wouldn’t work for the outside). 

Good Luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 04 November 2009 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-11-03

Thank you Julie.  One other question Will I still need to make a syrup for this cake?  If so, should it be a simple syrup with some Amaretto added or do you have any other suggestions.  My friend has requested almond flavored buttercream so I’ll be adding Amaretto to the mousseline buttercream.

Posted: 04 November 2009 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Just wanted to say welcome to the Forum sls28!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 November 2009 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

sls28, I haven’t made wedding cakes, so perhaps others who have will have opinions based on experience.  That said, if you’re planning to make it ahead or you prefer an extra moist cake, you should probably consider syruping.  There are instructions in the back (wedding cake section) of the Cake Bible.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour