Those Apples!
Posted: 04 November 2009 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

OK we have all sorts of modern gadgets nowadays - instant thermometers. ice cream scoops which the ice cream doesn’t stick to, food processors, blenders, silicone, the list is endless….

I come to the humble apple peeler/corer. It is a chore I hate- if it wasn’t for the heavenly reward at the end of the task I would with alacrity cook all my apples with the peels attached.  I have tried half a dozen brands and none are easy. Maybe there is a machine which does all this. What do the pro bakers use?

So what is your vote for the best apple peeler.

Posted: 04 November 2009 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Ok, this is totally not a professional machine, but I use it whenever baking apples are called for.  It cores, peels and slices all at once, saves loads of time. 

It’s pictured here, half way down the post:
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1373/

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 04 November 2009 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

I have one of these apple peelers/corers that I bring out when I need to peel lots of apples for pies.  Mine doesn’t clamp on, though, it has a suction cup type bottom that adheres to my countertop.  King Arthur Flour sells it -

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/apple-peeler/corer/slicer

Posted: 04 November 2009 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

Do these apple corer/slicer gadgets really work?  I’ve seen them advertised over here but thought that they wouldn’t do as good a job as by hand.

Posted: 04 November 2009 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

I want one! Now!

Posted: 04 November 2009 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

I use the model MrsM linked, although I think I bought mine at Land’s end many, many years ago.

I love it. I use it even if I’m just making a single apple pie.

Posted: 04 November 2009 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Jeannette, I have one of those and yes, it does work for smooth, symmetrical apples.  It does NOT work for Bramleys!  In UK we use Bramleys as cooking apples - they are too sour for eating apples and are very non-symmetrical and bumpy.  I don’t have any right now or I’d post a picture!

Posted: 04 November 2009 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25
Julie - 04 November 2009 12:37 PM

Ok, this is totally not a professional machine, but I use it whenever baking apples are called for.  It cores, peels and slices all at once, saves loads of time. 

It’s pictured here, half way down the post:
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1373/

Julie, I have that EXACT peeler, I received it as a gift several years ago and didn’t use it for the longest time (because I thought it too “Gimicky”).  After the peeler sat in the pantry for a few years, my wife and I drove to the mountains and came back with a bushel of Granny Smiths, so I thought I’d try it as a lark.  I absolutely LOVE it!  I cores and peels the apples with little waste, and I kinda like watching the little blade peel the apple as I turn the crank, then a mandolin makes beautiful uniform slices.  I like to pull it out every time I’m using apples now (truth be known, I am a gadget freak, especially about this unitasker, and have been accused of going for large quantities of apples JUST so I could use the peeler/corer).  tongue laugh

It works quite well, but I have not seen one in a store since I received this one, Paul.  Maybe if you search the ‘Net?

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 04 November 2009 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

In the UK you can get this contraption from ‘Lakeland’ a reputable company which has a mail order website.  I don’t know whether you can get it shipped worldwide and the cost involved, just thought someone may be interested.  The retail price in pounds is ?12.99, very reasonable I think.

Posted: 04 November 2009 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Tom that sounds encouraging. Many thanks.

Posted: 06 November 2009 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25

Paul, while speaking with my wife about the discussion in this thread today, I was informed that not only will this device peel and core apples, but it will make rings (slices) of the peeled and cored apples as well!  Now I have a nother reason to get it down from the pantry, I’ve always been a little scared of using the mandoline at speed, anyway!

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato