Buttercream for Southern Coconut Cake
Posted: 04 November 2009 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2009-09-09

Hello all!  I am making the Southern Manhatten Coconut Cake from HC this evening.  I am going to frost it tomorrow since it’s for my husband’s birthday.  I am a little unclear as to whether I can keep this cake at room temperature once it is frosted.  The buttercream is a mix of creme anglaise (sp) and Italian buttercream.  Am I going to have to keep it in the fridge or can I keep it on the counter?  Thanks!

Sarah

Posted: 04 November 2009 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4803
Joined  2008-04-16

This buttercream is similar to the silk meringue from the Cake Bible.  The silk meringue can be left out at room temp for 6 hours, 1 week refrigerated.  Hope you’ll post a pic, that cake looks scrumptious!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 05 November 2009 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

But if you refrigerate it to keep it, be sure to take it out in time for it to come to room temperature before serving!

Posted: 05 November 2009 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2009-09-09

Ok.  Thanks.  I will try to post a picture.  The last time I did, it said my file was too big.  I don’t know how to reduce.

Posted: 05 November 2009 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I’m a real technophobe, and bad with digital everything…but when I have a picture that’s too big I email it to myself, and my computer asks me if I want to make it smaller!  So I do, and then the new, emailed pic, works just fine.  (There has to be someone out there who knows a better way, but it works for me!)

Posted: 05 November 2009 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-10-06

There should be a setting on your camera that enables you to adjust picture resolution.  Shooting at a lower setting should result in a smaller size picture file.

Posted: 05 November 2009 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4803
Joined  2008-04-16

On my computer, it works to open the picture in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, click on “Picture” at the top left, then choose “Resize”.  A sidebar opens on the right, allowing you to reduce the size.  Save the result, and you’re set.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe