Has anyone tried King Arthurs Unbleached Cake Flour?
Posted: 05 November 2009 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09

I never in a million years thought I would ever care about flour but since baking using the cake bible I’ve been following the bleached vs. unbleached debate here and there on line.

After a couple of missteps (including a too hot oven)  I have had very consistent results as Rose guarantees.  But there are a lot of reputable bakers out there who seem to despise bleached flour for all kinds of reasons.

So…. has anyone tried the new King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour?

The website interestingly seems to acknowledge that the cake’s texture are not as fine as they would be with bleached flour (and King Arthur also has a bleached cake flour) by saying that it results in a medium fine texture as opposed to its bleached cake flour which it claims produces an ultra fine texture.

If anyone has tried it, I would love to hear the results.  A local market here sells unbleached cake flour in its bulk section, but from what I can tell from KA’s website, their may be some additional processing or treatment of some sort to give it the “performance characteristics needed for high quality cakes”

If this has already been addressed, sorry and please direct me to the thread

Thanks

Posted: 05 November 2009 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09

Never Mind!  I found the correct thread

Posted: 05 November 2009 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Hi Newbie,

I have been one of those posting about bleached vs. unbleached flour. I wouldn’t use the word “despise”. For me, it is just a matter of choosing foods and ingredients with a minimum of chemicals and additives. I live in Mexico where I can’t always find unbleached flour, and I also use whole wheat flour frequently, which is not bleached.

I just baked a cake today (Almond Pound Cake) that is half whole wheat flour and half white. In Mexico they are not always good about putting ingredients on the packaging, so I really don’t know sometimes if the white flour I buy is bleached or not. I do know that when I bake with unbleached flour and/or whole wheat flour, the cakes are still meltingly tender, so I believe that Rose’s method is the key reason for tender cake results.

I have never tried King Arthur Unbleached Flour, but I will when I can buy it.

Good luck with your baking!

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 06 November 2009 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Shirley O Corriher in her Bakewise book says that bleached flour is left slightly acidic causing cakes to set slightly sooner and providing a finer texture. Rose says that more acidic batters produce a sweeter more aromatic cake. Chlorination enhances the starch’s ability to absorb water and fat sticks to bleached starch and with all the air bubbles in the fat this means a more even distribution of bubbles and thus a finer texture.

Posted: 06 November 2009 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Ooooo, Paul, love that explanation!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 06 November 2009 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14