cookie help
Posted: 13 January 2008 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-01-13

hi,
we moved from Texas to Okinawa Japan, and for some reason my cookies are turning out spongy and flat any ideas why?

thanks

Posted: 14 January 2008 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

I would imagine you are experiencing the same problem that we in the UK have and that is the difference in the quality of the flour you use.  If I use my British recipe books I have no problems but if I try some American recipes I don’t get the best results.  This is because of the difference in the protein content of the flour apparently between the two continents,  I would think that is your problem also. Hope this helps in some way,  I’m sure Rose coud help even more.

Posted: 14 January 2008 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-18

USMCWIFE32:
  Hello to you & welcome to our culinary club. I see your husband is in the USMC. I was also in the Marine Corp during the Korean conflict 57 years ago.
I do not know exactly the why you are having this baking failure. However most likely member Jeanette is correct in her assumption about the flour. It just may be too soft. When you go shopping at the PX see if they stock “VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN’.
It is a additive to flour which will make it stonger. Failing that perhaps they might stock American flour such as GOLD MEDAL or PILLSBURY All-purpose flour.
  Good luck in your baking & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 05 March 2008 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-04

Could it be that you’re unknowingly using self-rising flour?  I had the same dilemma when I moved to Singapore until I realised the local flour I was buying was self-rising.

Posted: 02 September 2008 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-11-15

Sorry, I’m probably a bit after the event now it’s September, but was it like this? I recently made double chocolate chip cookies with microwaved bread flour, which worked very well.

Posted: 05 September 2008 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Other possible problems might be something to do with the butter or shortening you are using, if it varies significantly from USA brands.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

‹‹ Pfeffernusse!      Casein and Whey allergy ››