Xmas is around the corner
Posted: 06 November 2009 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Can anyone recommend an outstanding recipe for a Christmas cake and traditional Christmas pudding

Posted: 06 November 2009 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

If you want a traditional British Christmas cake, and that is the only one I know, I can’t recommend any better than Delia Smith’s recipe for Rich Fruit Cake.  I hesitate to say it here, because this is Rose’s site, but I hope she will forgive me, but it is the one I use every year, and have done for about 30 years!  I have also used it for wedding cakes and other celebrations, it never fails me!  I really don’t know any other traditional Christmas cake other than our fruit cake and I know it is looked on with disgust by our UK friends but our dried fruits are different i think.  If you’d like the recipe you can get it on her website, just Google it or if you have problems I can give it to you.
She also has a good pudding recipe.

Posted: 06 November 2009 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

I love, love, love Rose’s yule log, from the Cake Bible.  Flourless cocoa-almond roulade with either whipped cream or (my favorite) light whipped ganache.  My husband likes this cake so much he asked for it for his birthday.  Pairs nicely with champagne.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 07 November 2009 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

I’ll second the Christmas Log from TCB, also known as B?che de No?l, the traditional Christmas cake from France. It is always well received—beautiful, delicious and not commonly seen.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 07 November 2009 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Jeanette - Yes I am looking for the real traditional British cake. Thank you for the Delia info.

I will certainly try Rose’s log too - thanks Julie and Kathleen. My TCB only arrived yesterday and I had not spotted that one as yet.

What about Christmas puddings - the sort with brandy butter sauce!!! Yummy!

Posted: 07 November 2009 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Jeanette - That recipe for the “classic” looks really good!

Posted: 07 November 2009 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

Paul, I made it on Thursday!  It will be ‘fed’ weekly, until it is iced a week or so before Christmas, with a spoonful of brandy to keep it moist and flavourful.  Did you Google her pudding recipe as well?