The Wedding Cake Gods are Against me…HELP!!
Posted: 08 November 2009 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

Okay ...so the Wedding of my Daughter is on November14…as if I haven’t told you enough times. I made all my ckes , butter cream and dark chocolate ganache ahead of time and froze.  All was under control. Now get this.

MY REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER COMPRESSOR DIED 4 DAYS AGO!!!!!!!!!! OMG…Upon seeing the flood in my kitchen from ice melting…I quickly rang every doorbell on my floor (a NYC Apartment building) and begged for freezer space. Right now the works are located in 4 different apartments, including the Supers freezer in his office!!!  The part was supposedly overnight shipped Fed ex by Jenn-Aire on Friday…it didn’t come Saturday.  I might not get it until Tuesday which means it gets fixed Wednesday!! Should the Mother of the Bride be going through this???!!! I think not!!  If it’s fixed Wednesday, I think I’ll be okay. I’ll gather my Butter cream and Ganache and leave it out overnight Wednesday.  My concern is assembling the cakes. I’m doing fondant, so it would have been out all of Friday upon completion.  I’m really concerned about the defrosting of the cakes, and the process of filling and crumbcoating . This won’t be possible without a refrigerator.

Any ideas?? Jeanne has been so wonderful…and until I write this, she won’t know that this happened.

All I can say is, this better not be a bad omen!!!

Posted: 08 November 2009 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

Oh for crying out loud, are the pastry gods messing with you or what?!
Hmm.  I’ll have to have a stern talk with them and tell them to leave you alone and they can bother me for the next week!

You’ll be ok.

I am not so worried about the ganache (that can hold for 3 days at cool temps anyway); or the buttercream.

Are your cakes on cardboard rounds when you froze and wrapped them?  If so, they’ll be ok; the cardboard supports them so they won’t split or crack which is what some of us lazier bakers do when we are in a hurry and throw cake layers around and just wrap them in plastic because we know they are going to go on sheetpans anyway.

Because I do that, I know that if the cakes get manhandled they will split or crack because they are not on cardboard and that would make me a little nervous if I am stacking cakes.  so if you were handling them while they were thawed and didn’t have them on cardboards, ok then you have cause for concern. 

but back to the crisis at hand which won’t really be a crisis because your fridge will be fixed by Wednesday at the latest and that’s when you’re assembling the cakes. 

But what a story this cake is going to have, right?! smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 08 November 2009 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Claudia, I’m sending positive thoughts your way. You are right, the mother of the bride shouldn’t have to go through this. Just make sure all the cakes and buttercream are well wrapped. You never know what your neighbours have stored in their fridges. Buttercream absorbs odours easily. The last think you need now is for your buttercream or cakes to taste like garlic or something like that. Don’t mean to add to your stress.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 November 2009 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

I am just coming off a wedding cake weekend and I am feeling for you…I am sending positive thoughts your way.  You do not deserve this kind of stress!  Let us know how it turns out.

Posted: 09 November 2009 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-10-12

BREATH!!!

It’ll all work out!

Signature 

“Home is not a place, it’s people.”  The Fool

Posted: 09 November 2009 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

Thank you all!  At least you put a smile on my face and a chuckle actually occurred.  Other than the 6 inchers, everything is supported by cake rounds or small cookie sheets, though not directly on the cake. I was questioning some time ago about freezing with the cardboard and most of you did not suggest that due to moisture. So….at the time I unwrapped all the cakes and kept the rounds on the wrapping, not the cakes.

Do you think if they thawed a bit and were re-frozen they will be okay?  I opened a few of the 6 inch, and I didn’t see anything weird. I guess I can dab them with a paper towel (don’t tell) if I see moisture.  Should I still defrost with the wrapping on?

Has anyone assembled with frozen cakes ever?

Anyway…no smelly freezers, and they were all well wrapped and put into clear heavy duty garbage bags and tied off.

Thank you all ....When it rains it pours!!

Jeanne, you might get a phone call!

Sincerely, Claudia

Posted: 09 November 2009 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4743
Joined  2008-04-16

Oh, my, what a story!  Perhaps you’ll be telling this to your delighted grandchildren someday.  We’ll all speak to the pastry gods on your behalf- good luck with everything!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 09 November 2009 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Claudia - I’m also sending positive thoughts your way! So sorry about the trouble you’re having! I hope it all works out!!!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 November 2009 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Claudia, I too am in your corner and hoping the repair people show up on time.  Sounds like your cakes are in good hands though and I wish you the BEST.

Posted: 09 November 2009 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

Sending good vibes your way! I have a cake for this Saturday too!

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 09 November 2009 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25

Heh!  We have to count our blessings when we can; at least this didn’t happen while you were on a trip or that falling or melting ice didn’t ruin the cakes. 

Lots of positive thoughts are coming your way!

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 09 November 2009 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

Thank you soooo much! You all bring a smile too my furrowed brow. There must be a book deal in this somewhere!!

Posted: 10 November 2009 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

As a NYC apartment building resident myself, I have to say,  New Yorkers get a bad rap for being cold, for not knowing their neighbors, etc.  But in a crisis…we pull together.  (I don’t know where you live…but if you need freezer space in Mid-town east…feel free to e-mail!

I’m sure it will all work out…my thoughts are with you.

Posted: 11 November 2009 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

Bill..you’re Midtown East?  I’m 86th and York!!..Anyway…here’s the update neighbor, THE FRIDGE IS FIXED!!!  As of 5 o’clock yesterday…back on schedule….My daughter a, her fiancee and Maid of honor are arriving in NYC within a couple of hours..I hope! They’re flying out of Raleigh….bad weather.

To Jeanne…..thank you, thank you for your guidance last night!! You empowered me!!  That said, all of you on this forum have been amazing to me during this stressful time.  I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

No, back to making another batch of Ganache!!

Posted: 11 November 2009 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Tofusalem:
59th and Sutton…not exactly around the corner, but neighbors none the less!

Good luck with everything.