1 of 2
Wedding Cake
Posted: 09 November 2009 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

My sister in law was married this past weekend and here are the cakes I did for her wedding:

6-9-12” stacked wedding cake composed of Rose’s new German Chocolate Cake and filled with Raspberry Ganache and frosted with White Chocolate Mouselline Buttercream

14” round White Butter Cake filled with Raspberry Neoclassic Buttercream and frosted with White Chocolate Mouselline Buttercream..this cake was also encased with Chocolate Plastic leaves — it was going to be a birthday cake for my grandmother, but she fell ill and was unable to attend the wedding

9” round Dairy Free Carrot Cake (from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes) and frosted with a tofu “cream-cheese” icing.

This was my 3rd wedding cake and I have to give a huge thank you to the forum for helping with the success and a huge huge thank you to Rose for her wonderful recipes, advice, and community here. 

There is more at:  http://forheavenlycakessake.blogspot.com/2009/11/making-of-wedding-cake.html

Image Attachments
elysse_wedding 056.jpgelysse_wedding 059.jpg025.jpgelysse_wedding 067.jpg

Posted: 09 November 2009 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  775
Joined  2007-11-15

Beautiful cakes Sherrie!  I especially like the wedding cake, so understated and elegant!

Posted: 09 November 2009 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Gorgeous cakes, Sherrie! I love the design on it. You have a LOT of patience. The rose is perfect.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 November 2009 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

Oh. My. Gosh.  Those are incredible!  Did you really pipe all those perfectly graduated dots on the wedding cake? They are so elegant and beautiful!  Congratulations, your sister-in-law must have been absolutely thrilled.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 09 November 2009 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Beautiful cakes, Sherrie. But I’m a little confused. Are the leaves chocolate or plastic? I guess this is a product that is new to me.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 09 November 2009 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Kind thanks to everyone.  The leaves are chocolate plastic which is made of candy melts and corn syrup.  I consider it to be the ultimate adult play-doh!  It’s wonderful stuff!

Posted: 09 November 2009 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

It also works to make plastic chocolate (or modeling chocolate) out of real chocolate and corn syrup.  It’s in the Cake Bible.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 09 November 2009 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2583
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Sherrie - I visited your blog and left my comments there.  Really, really great job with your cake.  I’m sure your sister was thrilled with it!

smile

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 09 November 2009 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Sherrie, I too read up on your cakes on your blog.  Truly amazing!  Not only did you make the 3-tier wedding cake but the additional two cakes over and above.  How DID you do it?  What I didn’t understand is how you transferred the dot patterns from paper on to the buttercream - would you explain, please!  And I think your selections of cake/buttercream flavourings were inspired - I ‘d like to have tasted them all!

Posted: 09 November 2009 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Annie.  Thanks for your kind words.  To answer your question, I drew out the designs on paper and photocopied them so I’d have extras if needed.  I taped them to sponge board (they have it at Craft stores…often used for kid crafts).  I then punched sequin pins through all of the dots and taped over the needle heads.  I pressed the design onto the side of the cake so there were just tiny pin pricks to mark the spots.  I had no other idea for how to do this.  If someone knows of a better way (ok..there was Hector’s projector, but I don’t think I could get my paws on one…and if I did I probably would never let it go!) please share with the rest of us.

Posted: 09 November 2009 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25

Beautiful dot work on the wedding cake,  I like it enough to copy the concept soon as my most sincere form of flattery!

A real beauty!

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 09 November 2009 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks Tom, but I must confess this is a copy as well…my sis-in-law found a design she loved and I did my best to replicate it.  Too bad I’ve returned her book…I feel terrible having not given credit to the original designer!  In all fairness…I didn’t use fondant, oval pans, and added ribbon smile

I had actually wanted to try and create a sunflower cake with the centres being the teirs but that is beyond my scope at this point—- to keep it in proportion I would have needed some ultra jumbo white chocolate plastic petals for the 12” tier!

Posted: 09 November 2009 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

OH MY GOSH! Sherrie, this is a gorgeous job you have done, the concentric circles of the design,,,,the beauitful little cake menu boards, the dots or raspberry puree and sauce! I love it all! Wonderful job!

Although I am putting together a cake for Saturday and am feeling miles behind and unsure of my plan. This happens every time!

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 09 November 2009 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

Truly beautiful cakes, Sherrie. I’m interested in your carrot cake w/ tofu cream cheese frosting. My daughter is a vegan, and she and I have some wonderful recipes for baked goods. I have yet to make, however, a “cream cheese” frosting that I find edible. Will you share your secret? Thanks in advance. Maybe when she comes home for the holidays I’ll be able to surprise her.

Posted: 10 November 2009 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi gpears, thanks for asking.  I used the Carrot Cake from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes…excellent recipe, sort of a dusky and not overpoweringly spicy carrot cake.  I did not make it vegan as it did contain eggs…if you could find an appropriate substitute for that, then you are well on your way.  As far as the frosting, the real key is the Tofutti cream cheese like spread.  I scrambled to get my hands on some.  I used the cream cheese frosting recipe from the Sweeter Side of Amy’s Bread—unfortunately I couldn’t adapt Rose’s too well since they are heavily dependent on butter and white chocolate.  Anyway, this recipe consists of butter, cream cheese and poured fondant.  I adapted it to use Earth Balance Butter-like vegan sticks (they were mildly salted) and the Tofutti.  I used the full amount of the poured fondant recipe which uses sugar, corn syrup and water and added vanilla and lemon oil for a bit of flavour.  It turned out very well—many dairy eaters were loving it…I don’t think it’s possible to replicate a real cream cheese frosting, but this one turned out very well in it’s own way.  I also got some huge thanks from the dairy-allergy folks out there…they were so happy to have a cake they could eat too!  A brief note, the frosting stays very soft, even when chilled, and the cake should remain chilled until just before serving.

Posted: 10 November 2009 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

Hello Sherrie- I saw your PM before this post. I have The Sweeter Side baking book and love the recipes I’ve tried so far. I’ll take a look at this one and hope for the best. Thanks again.

1 of 2