Heavenly Cakes - your favorites
Posted: 10 November 2009 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

If you have been baking Heavenly Cakes recipes what are your favorites thus far?

Posted: 10 November 2009 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

Of those I’ve made I really can recommend the Banana Refrigerator cake with the white chocolate and cream cheese frosting.  It is full of flavour and moistness, it keeps very well too!  The other one which I want to make very soon is the English Gingerbread, another good keeper!  You can tell from this that I like cakes that keep well, I like to have one in the house for unexpected guests, these fill the bill. tongue wink

Posted: 10 November 2009 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

The Deep Chocolate Passion is my new favorite chocolate cake - even better than the Chocolate Fudge cake from The Cake Bible (see my additional comments below for more info/clarification on the deep choc passion cake).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 10 November 2009 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Haven’t tried the deep chocolate passion yet (and I trust Patrincia implicitly…) but for me, so far, Carrot cake

Posted: 10 November 2009 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

is the deep chocolate passion cake a round 8 inch cake? (In the main recipe?)

Why do you like it better than the fudge cake? Is it more chocolatey? I am doing a chocolate cake in 2 weeks and am thinking hmm….maybe i should try it.

Posted: 10 November 2009 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I’m sorry for the confusion - the Deep Chocolate Passion cake is listed in the wedding cake section (RHC pg 409), but it’s comprised of the German Chocolate cake base from pg 137 (and it even appears in cupcake form on pg 303).  The wedding cake section has two recipes, on that makes both a 6 and 9-inch cake, and another that makes a 12-inch cake.  The german chocolate recipe makes a 9-inch cake.  The cupcake recipe makes 14 cupcakes.  I highly recommend adding the milk chocolate ganache syrup found on page 414 (I substituted semi-sweet chocolate with excellent results).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 10 November 2009 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

gotcha. thanks!

Posted: 10 November 2009 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

I am in total agreement with Patrincia!  This cake is wonderful in every possible way.  It bakes perfectly level (no trimming), is easy to prepare, tastes out of this world.  I just adore it!  I also love the carrot cake.. it’s dusky and not too spicy.  Still working on making more from the book.

Posted: 10 November 2009 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks for starting this thread Paul! I have baked these from HCB:
Hungarian Janci Torta
Banana Refrigerator Cake w/ Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting
Apple Upside-Down Cake
Chocolate Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Egg-White Buttercream
Almond Shamah Chiffon
Pumpkin Cake (sans buttercream)
Baby Chocolate Oblivion.

1st Prize goes to Apple Upside-Down Cake.
2nd Prize goes to Almond Shamah Chiffon.

I have to say that I didn’t expect the Apple Upside-Down Cake to be my favorite, mostly because I’m not a big fan of apple pie/tart. But this cake is really something else, the texture of it and the taste is heavenly for me. Right now I am curious as to which cake will “overthrow” Apple Upside Down from its spot. Maybe Lemon Luxury? (I’ll find out this coming weekend smile).

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 November 2009 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

So far I’ve only made the german chocolate and the lemon luxury. Even though I’m a huge chocolate fan, I have to say the lemon luxury was my favorite. I’m planning on trying the apple upside down cake soon…

Posted: 15 November 2009 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-09-17

Patrincia and/or others who have made the Deep Choc Passion, is the cake nice and moist without the chocolate syrup? I am looking for a choc cake which is moist without requiring syrup, as I don’t usually have time to make it.  Or would you say the choc syrup is essential?

Posted: 15 November 2009 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Laurel - I made the cupcakes which are from the same base formula as the deep chocolate passion cake.  I added ganache syrup to them, but it didn’t penetrate throughout the entire cupcake.  I’d say it’s definitely a moist cake without, but by all means, you must try it with the ganache syrup sometime.  It’s out of this world!  If you’re on the fence, make Rose’s Chocolate Fudge cake from The Cake Bible… it’s incredibly moist and delicious (recipe doesn’t call for ganache syrup).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at