1 of 2
Please Help!!!  New Cake Baker!!! w/ Baby shower deadline 11/14!!!!!
Posted: 10 November 2009 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

To all,

I have been reading and reading these posts and I admire you all.  I am mostly the cookie type…but have made a few cakes in the past.  One a cake remake of the famous Girl Scout Somoa-which I will post!  Recently my sister asked that I bake her a cake for her baby shower…there will be 35 people there.  My idea is to make the luxury lemon cake but I thought a 10” would be a better size for decorating with a 9” back up.  I am going to try to use lemon curd and raspberry mousseline as the fillings and simple white chocolate buttercream to frost.  I am going to make brownies aside from this and frost them as well to make some edible baby blocks.  Does anyone have any suggestions for baking a 10” cake?  I am nervous about amounts and measurements.  There are so many links to adjustments it seems more confusing.  Do i need to get the pan strips if I do go to a 10” cake?  I also do not have access to the white chocolate with cocoa nibs…will regular white chocolate do? 
I actually took off the entire day from work Friday to do this cake.  I want it to be so special for my sister and her first baby!  Still, is there something I can do ahead of time?  Can I make the mousseline/buttercream/ or the lemon curd in advance like Wednesday?  Please help!  Any suggestions are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Posted: 10 November 2009 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2007-11-27

Make the lemon curd in advance, otherwise you’ll be waiting a while for it to cool enough to use.

As far as the recipe;  what kind of mixer do you have?  One recipe will probably fill a 12” round if you have that size pan - then you can just bake two cakes and have enough for all your guests.  If you do, the cake strips are an excellent idea for this size cake;  you can always substitute dish towels cut into strips if you can’t find them or don’t have time to get them.

You can make the mousseline in advance as well; make an extra batch because it’s easier to freeze it for later if you don’t need it than to have to rush to make another batch because you’ve run out or are at the very end and have to scrimp to finish.

Good luck!  It’ll be terrific and congrats to you on becoming an aunt soon and to your sister smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 10 November 2009 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4804
Joined  2008-04-16
schnacks143 - 10 November 2009 08:50 PM

I also do not have access to the white chocolate with cocoa nibs…will regular white chocolate do?

I’m thinking you must mean white chocolate with vanilla beans, i.e., Green & Black’s brand.  You could also use Lindt white bars, or Callebaut bulk white, or Valrhona if you can find it.  Just be sure to check the ingredient list for cocoa butter (there shouldn’t be other fats, like hydrogenated or palm oils).

Definitely make the raspberry mousseline and lemon curd ahead of time!  Sounds like a wonderful cake.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 11 November 2009 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

There’s also no reason you couldn’t bake the cake in advance as well, and keep it well wrapped in the refrigerator, if you have the space.  That would ease final-day pressure on you.  Or, if you are only planning to bake the cakes on Friday, you could pre-measure all your dry ingredients and sift them, cut out parchment liners for the pans etc all early, so that on Friday you just measure out the wet ingredients and go.

Posted: 11 November 2009 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Does anyone have any suggestions for baking a 10? cake?  I am nervous about amounts and measurements.

For the 10” cake of the SAME depth as the 9”, you need to increase the recipe by 1.25.  Just multiply all the ingredients by 1.25.  For some cakes you have to adjust the baking powder slightly differently - maybe Julie will chime in on this??? 

I would most definitely use cake strips - do as Jeanne says using wet rags or you can soak kitchen towels in water, remove excess water and wrap up in a band of foil which you can then secure around the cake pan.

Good luck!

Posted: 11 November 2009 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Thank You Everyone!

All of these tips are very helpful.  I will buy the cake strips and I have to buy the pans as well.  Perhaps making just the 12” will be best.  Please let me know if I need to adjust the baking powder for this size.  I had my mom drop off her Kitchen Aid (since I just moved out on my own I have limited resources!) It is just the basic home version but is still a very good piece of equipment.  Also I will buy the cake strips and the cake pans.  Is there a specific brand of cake pan that is best.  I remember reading Aluminum. 

I will start with the Lemon Curd tonight and hopefully make it to the Mousseline as well.  I am currently looking for the right jam for this…with less sugars and no pectin.  I am coming to the conclusion that I will need to make my own raspberry base. 

I will definitely be separating the dry goods and measuring as this will take up so much counter space (which I have only 6 sq ft of!).  I do this often with cookies.

Thank you all again for your support and your tips.

Posted: 11 November 2009 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

If you make one 12” cake from the 2 x 9” recipe you will have about one tenth (120 grams) of your batter over.  (That is if you buy a 12” x 2” pan and fill to almost half full).  I suggest you make two or three cupcakes and then you can taste them before assembling the big cake!

Posted: 11 November 2009 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Sampling!  Now that is a fabulous suggestion!  Thank you!

Posted: 12 November 2009 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

So I tried to make the lemon curd last night for the cake…I feel as though I may have over cooked it.  This morning I checked it and it seems very hard like it will be difficult to spread on the cake…is this possible?  I have made lemon curd from “cooking light” before for tarts and i don’t remember it being this thick.  I do remember one batch coming out runny…and I was nervous about this.  Either way…the spoonful I tasted was very yummy!  I was wondering when i take the curd out of the refrigerator will it soften a little?

Posted: 13 November 2009 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

So today I am spending a day in the kitchen…hopefully this turns out well!

Posted: 13 November 2009 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4804
Joined  2008-04-16
AnnieMacD - 11 November 2009 04:33 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions for baking a 10? cake?  I am nervous about amounts and measurements.

For the 10” cake of the SAME depth as the 9”, you need to increase the recipe by 1.25.  Just multiply all the ingredients by 1.25.  For some cakes you have to adjust the baking powder slightly differently - maybe Julie will chime in on this???

According to the Rose factor chart on p.490 of the Cake Bible, 9” cakes and 10” cakes are both in the level two, so in theory you may be able to get away with no adjustment to the leavening.  If it were me, I would probably decrease the baking powder ever so slightly to be on the safe side (I’d rather have a slight hump than a slight dip).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 13 November 2009 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Ugh!  well i am so sorry that wasn’t posted sooner…i actually put everything in a 12” pan…with no leavening adjustments…i can only hope for the best!  I still have to make another whole cake, if need be…i will make two and turn the flopped into a trifle!...I will adjust it then…do you know how much? 

going to finish the buttercream and work on the mousseline!

Posted: 13 November 2009 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Well so far the first 12” cake has not sunk yet!  It has been out of the oven for an hour.  However, the top is very brown.  Perhaps I should have tested sooner, I left it in for 35 minutes(but at the 2/3 time to turn it was also brown.  I am watching closely for the sinking though.  The second 12” is in the oven…I lessened the baking powder by 1 tsp.  I tried looking around in the wedding cake section for proportions.  We shall see.  I will watch the time on this one more closely.

Posted: 16 November 2009 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

The day got so busy I never got back on…

The first cake never sank, stayed at 2”- I used the entire batter for the 9” cakes.  The cake was perfectly flat!  I think the fact that this cake seemed cooked a little more than it should have been was my saving in this…who knows?  Any ideas?  The second cake though, I took out about 1.5 cups and made 4 cupcakes.  This cake was trick for some reason.  I made the batter using only 3 Tsp of the baking powder.  Sadly and mysteriously, I ended up underbaking this cake.  I used the tester, and it looked clean, but I think I was in such a rush, I didn’t look close enough.  I took the cake out put it on the wire rack, shut of the oven and left the door open(baking is how I heat my house during these chilly times)...so then I went to loosen the cake from the pan and realized it was not done!  Yikes…it had been a good 5 minutes…so I just hoped for the best, turned the oven back on and put cake back in for another 8-10 minutes.  This cake again baked very even…it was the poking with the tester that did it in…not too much…but I was hoping this cake would have risen more…perhaps it was the poor baking cycle….but it was still usable!  I did not have to make a third!  At this point I had to take a 3 hour break to go run errands and help out the love of my life…so the cake was put on hold.  When I returned, I realized I had left in such a rush that I never wrapped the cakes in anything…a little dry…but ok…I covered them and went to the white chocolate buttercream and the raspberry mousseline.  I really have no idea what this was supposed to look like, but I just followed step by step… and again hoped for the best.  My luck was the butter was perfect temperature!  During the cake assembly I was worried about the dryness, so I used some lemon syrup.  I think this made the cake a little sweeter, which I didn’t care for…and I don’t think in the end it was needed since the mousseline was so moist.  All in all the assembly went well and everyone raved.  The cake was just enough for the 34 people…minus one piece. It was a good thing that I had the brownie boxes.  I will post pictures soon. 

As far as my own criticisms go…I didn’t think the raspberry mousseline was raspberry enough…it is probably because I didn’t have time to make my own raspberry preserve, and used Polander.  I would have liked a more intense flavor.  I also would have liked the cake layers to be thicker, so I should have used the entire batter again in the second batch.  Generally when you make a layer cake though, do you want all layers to be even?  I was guessing during the assembly, by looking at the photogragh of the luxury lemon cake and it looked as thought the bottom two layers were thicker than the top two. 

Thank you though for everyone that helped and shared some very positive and valuable advice!

Posted: 16 November 2009 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Congratulations!  Sounds like your cakes were fabulous.  Don’t forget to post the pictures!

Posted: 23 November 2009 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Sorry this took so long…But here are two photos…
There was a decorating plan that I had started with and then changed in the middle of the day which is why the cake is not centered on the base and why it isn’t on a round…
Sorry this took so long…I was having file sizing issues.

Image Attachments
Baby Shower 004a.jpg

1 of 2