No knead bread - anyone still making it?
Posted: 11 November 2009 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

What’s your view on the “no knead bread” - something to study or ignore in favour of the longer traditional bread making process yielding a superior loaf.

Posted: 11 November 2009 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I see the “no knead” method as a staple bread making technique. We had an early Thanksgiving dinner Saturday and a friend brought a delightful loaf made using that method. Rose blogged not too long ago about her own refinements on the technique. I was inspired by her writing to try my own variation that worked out well.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 11 November 2009 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

I do both.  I have to say that the old-fashioned method using sourdough is my favourite by I do make no-knead from time to time - mostly white.

Posted: 11 November 2009 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

That is interesting. So there is definitely a place for it. I read Rose’s pieces but I wasn’t sure how impressed she was at the end.

Posted: 11 November 2009 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Yes, it still seems to be quite popular.  I thought it was somewhat lacking in flavor when I made it, but perhaps I should revisit it sometime.

Posted: 11 November 2009 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose’s pizza dough from the Bread Bible is no-knead, and it is delicious.  We make it every week.  We mix the dough the night beforeor early in the morning, and use 50% by weight semolina (Bob’s Red Mill) flour and 50% better for bread.  Truly delicious.  You can also use the finer grind durum flour, but that requires an increase in the water and is a shade less flavorful.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 11 November 2009 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

As a really inexperience bread baker, I love the no knead bread.  It’s not the most flavorful, but it’s pretty good for a beginning bread baker like me.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 11 November 2009 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Matthew is right. I found the original NYT recipe a bit bland. I usually enhance the recipe a bit with some potato water or malt. And frankly I usually knead it a little bit too.
The real revelation about this recipe is I think not that you don’t have to knead it but that by baking in a preheated covered vessel the home cook can achieve a near commercial quality rustic crust.
The thing that nags is getting the dough into the hot pan after the final rise. The classic method calls for a very rustic plop which loses a lot of loft. Rose has been experimenting with her coffee filter method which inspired me to try using my SuperPeel. I made a cardboard cylinder just smaller than the bottom of my baking pan. Then I put the cylinder on my SuperPeel and let the dough rise for its final rise in the cardboard cylinder. When it was time to bake I removed the cardboard and slid the risen loaf into the baking pan with the SuperPeel. It turned out very well although I had some sticking problems that I think I can solve with more flour next time.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 24 November 2009 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

I do no knead all the time, 99% of the time with some combination of white whole wheat, spelt, and rye, most with yeast, sometimes with sourdough. I make the dough thick enough for it to retain it’s shape for the final fermentation, and they usually do well when I plop them into the dutch oven. It comes out superb. I disregard what Bittman said about not being able to bake it with the dutch oven. And I agree with Gene that that’s the real revelation.

The only time I knead is when I make white bread, I feel it’s a little better with kneading.

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 November 2010 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-11-04

I add a cup of kalamata olives to my white no-knead while it is bubbling away overnight - simple perfection! Or I add various seeds and dried fruits and molassas/honey for a rich fruit loaf. I love the no-knead recipe because it is so forgiving.

I also have stopped putting it in a pre-heated dutch oven and put it in the oven cold. Stops sticking issues and still gives a great crust (my favourite thing about it).