Overcooked Lemon Curd?
Posted: 12 November 2009 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

So in my attempt to get ahead a bit…I tried making the lemon curd for the luxury lemon cake.  I stirred and stirred forever…but I think that was too long…i may have over cooked it.  It seems so thick…is this ok?  is there something I can do to lighten it or should i start over?  It doesn’t seem lumpy just very thick…tastes yum though!

Posted: 12 November 2009 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Thick is good.  smile 

It really doesn’t take very long to cook. I remove the pan from the stove before it is very thick, because it continues to cook for a while longer.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 12 November 2009 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

But can it be too thick?  I wasn’t aware that it would continue to thicken and I became nervous that I would end up with a watery curd for the cake.

Posted: 12 November 2009 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-24

How thick are we talking about? You don’t need a knife to cut it, do you? smile Is this going between layers or on top? Is it too thick to spread?

I have never made curd overly thick, so can’t speak from experience here, but I bet it won’t be too thick for your cake. Julia Child once said on one of her tv programs that if a recipe doesn’t turn out the way you planned, don’t tell anybody. They won’t know the difference, and will think it is just how it is supposed to be. Just graciously accept the compliments.

Signature 

Posted: 12 November 2009 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Thick = good.  As long as you can spread it.

Posted: 12 November 2009 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

I don’t think I need a knife to cut it…LOL!  I just am not sure how easily it will spread with a knife.  I am going to use it in the center layer of the cake, the other two layers will be raspberry mousseline.  I am hoping when I put the cake together it will somewhat spread nicely.

Posted: 12 November 2009 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-24

If it’s for the center, you will have no problem. It sounds like a delicious cake. Let me know how it turns out.

Signature 

Posted: 12 November 2009 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25
schnacks143 - 12 November 2009 06:17 PM

I don’t think I need a knife to cut it…LOL!  I just am not sure how easily it will spread with a knife.  I am going to use it in the center layer of the cake, the other two layers will be raspberry mousseline.  I am hoping when I put the cake together it will somewhat spread nicely.

In a cake with many layers, a thicker curd filling consistency will make serving it easier, so even if you didn’t pre-cut the upper layers for a very firm cake, then you wouldn’t be presing out the filling as you cut and serve the layer cake.

Good luck, I’m sure the curd will be fine so long as you take your time spreading it, and even if it makes the cake layers crumb a little (even a lot), you won’t be able to tell when the cake is served (I LOVE that Julia Child Quote!)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 13 November 2009 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I’m always trying to get my curd to be thicker!

As long as it isn’t lumpy/curdled, I bet you are fine. Warm it up a bit before spreading if needed.

What a great quote from Julia Child. My Grandma used to say “You’re alone in the kitchen!” when sometime went wrong. Meaning, “don’t tell and they’ll never notice.”

You know, my Grandma grew up in a very large family. I have a feeling her own mother was rarely alone in the kitchen. At least, I hope she wasn’t, given the number of people she had to cook for! But Grandma mostly was, and so was my Mom. I sometimes am, sometimes not. Fortunately my husband isn’t fussy and is a good cook too!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 13 November 2009 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Your curd has butter in it, right?  So it will be thicker chilled than at room temp.  If it’s chilled and you don’t want to wait for it to come to room temp, you could form it/roll it between two sheets of plastic wrap and then just lay it on the cake.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 13 November 2009 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Julie - 13 November 2009 02:16 PM

If it’s chilled and you don’t want to wait for it to come to room temp, you could form it/roll it between two sheets of plastic wrap and then just lay it on the cake.

Another great tip from Julie. Thank you!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 13 November 2009 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Well since I started early, I have plenty of time for it to chill…I have made my buttercream and put that in the fridge to set a little.  I will take out the curd soon and the buttercream again.  I will make the mousseline right before forming the cake.  It is cold in my house…only about 62…so everything should stay nicely.