Poor Pumpkin
Posted: 16 November 2009 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

I’m on my third batch of Rose’s Pumpkin cake in one week.  It’s so good I can’t stop making it.  I use a 15 oz can of pumpkin puree and I can’t help feeling bad for the 2 oz of pumpkin that don’t make it into the batter.  And I hate to waste things.  What on earth can I do with 2 oz of pumpkin? Any thoughts?

As a side note I have made cupcakes with the recipe and they turned out great.  I’ve also frosted with cream cheese frosting, and it’s out of this world (Rose’s recipe on pg 85 of RHC for the “whiter frosting” made with powdered sugar).  I have made the burnt orange silk meringue buttercream, and others adored it, but I have some strange aversion to anything orange.  The fruit, not the color.  I’d like to say I’ll try to post a picture of my cakes, but frankly, with two toddlers I’m lucky I have time to shower.  wink

Posted: 16 November 2009 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

You could probably freeze it until you get enough to do something with it.  For example, this ice cream takes a little over 6 ounces of pumpkin, so you could have almost made that after your baking this week:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2009/11/pumpkin_ice_cream_recipe.html

Posted: 16 November 2009 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Stir it into oatmeal, soup, mac and cheese, brownies, buttercream… I can think of a million uses.  You could even sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on top and eat it straight up.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 November 2009 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Oatmeal is a great idea, and one I think my kids would love!!!!  Not so sure about the mac and cheese, but hey, I’ll give it a try!

Posted: 17 November 2009 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Love the soup idea- just add stock and maybe sour cream.  Rose has a post about making hubbard squash soup over on the blog.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 18 November 2009 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I like the freeze-it idea too. Pumpkin muffins are great!

As far as pumpkin in mac and cheese, I seem to recall the Barefoot Bloggers group doing a recipe like that about a year ago. If you search Ina Garten’s recipes on the Food Network site, you might find it. I admit I was never tempted to try it.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara