1 of 2
Wedding Cake with Chocolate Lacquer Glaze
Posted: 17 November 2009 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

I am still on a cloud from the successful completion of my dear friend’s wedding cake and a fabulous weekend in a redwood forest mountain retreat. I wrote a post on my site about the experience, so go there for all the pictures, but I had to share here as well.

While I normally use RLB recipes for wedding cakes, we had a tasting a couple months back and the couple selected my favorite chocolate cake recipe with sour cream and coffee (full disclosure: I have not tried every RLB chocolate cake recipe, and I know I need to try the domingo!) with slightly different fillings and a moist yellow cake for the middle. The whole thing was covered in ganache undercoat and dark chocolate lacquer glaze as per the Deep Chocolate Passion wedding cake in Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. 

I have been so excited to use this glaze and it came out just as beautifully as I had seen and imagined. It is very, very easy….almost foolproof actually, as long as you have an accurate thermometer and follow the recommended temperature range for the glaze. (I noticed that for the Bomba and other recipes using the glaze, different temperatures are recommended.)

I re-heated my glaze from chilled, and it took over 20 minutes in a double boiler. Do not be discouraged by the seemingly immovable iceberg of glaze - it will reheat and pour perfectly.

Thank you to everyone as usual for your support. (Especially Hector!)

Image Attachments
lacquer glaze WIN.jpgfinished cake shiny glaze.jpg
 Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 17 November 2009 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

oh my dear, thank you, it is fabulous.  the shine stands out, and love your ok picture!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 17 November 2009 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

A beautiful glaze and I love the autumn/fall theme of the decoration!

Posted: 17 November 2009 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, I love the OK picture, too!  Shines like a mirror.  Beautiful cake, lovely job!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 17 November 2009 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Absolutely beautiful!

Posted: 17 November 2009 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve looked at your blog, and the picture is so clear, you can be seen taking the picture, which is reflected in the glaze!  Fantastic!!!! cheese

Posted: 17 November 2009 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

That is a lovely and elegant cake.  Less is more and your cake just highlights the glaze beautifully.  Congratulations on a job well done!

Jess

Posted: 17 November 2009 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Beautiful cake Rachel! The glaze is so shiny, just perfect.

Posted: 17 November 2009 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-29

Thank you so much everyone!!  red face I only wish I had more time with the book to test the amazing chocolate cake recipe Rose perfected for the the Deep Chocolate Passion Cake (also the german chocolate cake base), for this project. I thought about substituting it at the last minute, but decided I would go with a cake I had made over and over again, especially since I was attempting a new technique already with the glaze.

I also am very glad I tried the golden neoclassic buttercream from Heavenly Cakes. I had Lyle’s Golden Syrup on hand and it was a wonderful mellow flavor, really unlike any frosting I have had. I used the classic raspberry puree and sauce recipe to flavor the buttercream for a filling (for the yellow middle tier) and to sauce the plates of both types of cake.

The one change I made to the raspberry puree was to suit the theme of the recepetion - pine cones and pomegranates - and I reduced pomegranate juice instead of the raspberry juice after straining/thawing the frozen raspberries. Then I blended the pom juice with the strained raspberry pulp. It was delicious - a bit more tannic/tart/complex. I also added about 1/3 cup of homemade jam from my satsuma plum tree (they are a brilliant ruby color with a tart, complex flavor, in the same family as santa rosa plums)

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2009 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

Soooo fantastically gorgeous, Rachel!  I am waiting for the perfect opportunity to make the glaze—Christmas, maybe??—regardless, you’ve got me all the more motivated to try it.  I must say the German Chocolate Cake base is a dream—I baked only one test cake with it before using it in my sister-in-law’s wedding cake and they all turned out wonderfully.  But…I don’t think it would have the tang that a sour cream chocolate cake would, so if you had based your components on that, then sticking with it is a good idea.  Do try it sometime, you will not be disappointed!  I must check out the blog now!

Posted: 17 November 2009 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

the glaze on the wedding cake is nothing short of perfection! that hand sign of victory says it all including the reflection!

Posted: 17 November 2009 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-29

Thanks, Sherrie! I think you are right about sticking with the flavors and textures of the components I had presented in the first place, but I definitely need to make the german chocolate cake. Well, there will be many opportunities.
I think my next item with the glaze will be the baby grands.
I play piano and the name (and likeness to a piano) has suckered me in.

Also another thing I thought about is that I am not a huge fan of fondant covered cakes for eating, but many of them look so smooth and gorgeous, like Wendy Kromer’s creations for the Martha Stewart Wedding Cakes book, and this glaze achieves a pristine smooth surface while still being delicious to eat. While it won’t keep a cake fresh like fondant or marzipan will, it does achieve the visual WOW. I think my speciality might have to be chocolate covered cakes.  oh oh

I do NOT want my specialty to be delivering wedding cakes though. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2009 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2009-05-14

Lovely cake Rachel. So very pretty.

Posted: 17 November 2009 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I love the reflection - perfection!
smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 November 2009 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Look at that shine!

Anybody else a fan of the short-lived TV show “Firefly?” In the future world of that show, everyone uses “Shiny!” to mean “great, terrific, wow!” Now that I’ve seen that picture I know exactly how that usage must have started—with this glaze!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 18 November 2009 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Beautiful, beautiful cake, Rachel.  You must feel so proud to have produced such a work of art.  Do you have a picture of a slice?

1 of 2