Pie crust question
Posted: 18 November 2009 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-12-07

I was recently gifted with the pie and pastry bible.  So good!  I made my first apple pie, and it was wonderful.  Now I am charged with making spectacular pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving.  I usually do the pies, and use the recipe on the can of pumpkin, or some slight variation.  This year I want to make Great Pumpkin Pie, but there is a hitch.  I have a freezer full of homegrown walnuts that I would love to use instead of the pecans in the crust. 
Normally I like to make a recipe “as written” before fiddling with it, but I just don’t like pecans!  I also don’t have any and buying a bag just for this pie, when I know I will never use the rest, just seems wasteful.  My concern is the difference in taste and acidity between walnuts and pecans.  Will this be too significant a change?  I don’t want to ruin my first attempt at this pie.  My other option is to leave out the nut component altogether, and just use extra ginger snaps. 
Please let me know your expert thoughts.  Thanks, everyone!!

Posted: 18 November 2009 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I can’t see that it would make much of a difference if you use walnuts.

Posted: 18 November 2009 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

I always substitute walnuts for pecans, as pecans are not my favorite nut. It never makes a difference.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 18 November 2009 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-12-07

Thank you, that is just what I wanted to hear!  I am glad to get confirmation from folks who have done it with success.  I sometimes make what I think are practical alterations in a recipe only to have them turn out very differently than expected. 
I am also heartened to find another pecan non-lover.  Most people can’t fathom my dislike for them.

Posted: 19 November 2009 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I have made that substitution…no problem