Rolling pin
Posted: 19 November 2009 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Any tips on what type of rolling pin to buy and what else should I buy for making pastry.

Does one need a marble surface?

Posted: 19 November 2009 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve always used a plain, heavy wooden rolling pin which I have had for years and I’m perfectly happy with it but I know there are others out there!  As for surfaces to roll the pastry, I haven’t got marble but I do have granite which I think is just as good.  Before that I rolled my pastry on my worktop which is a form of Formica and that was always acceptable,  you use what you have unless you can afford otherwise.  I must add that I have always been complimented on my pastry! smile

Posted: 19 November 2009 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I agree, you don’t need anything fancy. I’m also known for my pie crusts and I use very simple tools. It’s mostly in finding a good recipe and then perfecting your technique and understanding of how the dough behaves.

Well, if you live in a very hot climate and don’t have air conditioning in your kitchen, then you might need something to help keep the dough cool. You don’t want to let the dough get too warm. That’s one of the key secrets to good pastry.

I use a wooden french-style rolling pin, the kind that is quite long, has no handles and tapers slightly at the ends. But you can make good pastry with any kind of rolling pin—even an empty wine bottle will work in a pinch. Try handling a few and see what feels comfortable to you.

I’ve rolled my dough on the formica countertop (lightly floured), on wax paper or plastic wrap—my favorite is a round pastry board with a fabric cover. Again, just experiment a bit and see what works for you. I recommend you also get a bench scraper (good for detaching the dough if it starts sticking to your surface). A shaker to dust your flour with is optional but useful. None of these are very expensive.

If you buy an old rolling pin, make sure it has no nicks, dings, or holes in the rolling surface, is straight and not warped, and that the handles are firmly attached and spin well, without binding or excessive wobbling. In fact, I’d recommend you check out new ones for problems like that, too.

Enjoy your pastry-making!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 19 November 2009 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I used a french tapered pin for a long time, but my preference now is for the heavy solid plastic kind that is untapered.  It rolls well, holds a cloth cover or dough height rings well, and the greatest thing is you can throw it in the dishwasher.  I bought mine at Sur la Table. I also strongly recommend that you buy a pastry cloth and pin cover. I have a piece of marble, but I have never need to use it.

This is similar to what I use:

http://images.surlatable.com/surlatable/images/en_US/local/products/detail/612937.jpg

Posted: 19 November 2009 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

I collect rolling pins like other people collect baking books (ha, I collect them too).  I think after much research I can safely say my overriding preference is for a French pin with pastry sleeve and cloth.  And, as Barbara said keep everything COLD.

Posted: 19 November 2009 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

smile such useful info - thank you everyone!

Posted: 26 August 2010 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

In TP&PB; Rose mentions she favors a Frech white plastic rolling pin she got at La Cusine.  I went to their site and cannot find it but the have a silicone French rolling pin with either straight or tapered ends. Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

http://www.lacuisineus.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_281&products_id=1929

Posted: 30 August 2010 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I’m going to look for that, thanx

‹‹ Fruitcake Wreath Pan      Spatula ››