Daily maintenance of a sourdough starter AFTER it’s done maturing
Posted: 16 January 2008 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-01-16

Hi everyone -

I have a sourdough starter that’s about half a year old now. I generally keep about 1/3 cup of the stuff at all times - 1/4 c starter, 1/3 c flour, 1 2/3 tbsp water. When it’s not in the fridge I feed it every twelve hours. But just the other day it occurred to me that I couldn’t remember where I’d actually read that one should feed a starter every twelve hours. I worry that I might’ve made that up along the way, in fact. So my question is this - is it possible to feed a sourdough starter less than every twelve hours when it’s at room temperature? Or was I right in the first place? How often should I be feeding the stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 16 January 2008 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Dear Cavers, there is an excellent thread of how to feed sourdough starter in the blog.  More than just one thread indeed.

The Bread Bible has a nice method, were you only feed the starter once a week, while keeping it in the refrigerator.  I really like this method.  Basically, instead of daily or bi-daily feedings at room temperature, you ‘slow’ down the started by refrigerating it, once a week is just perfect!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 17 January 2008 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-01-16

Thanks for the tip, Hector. I think I’ll probably start making use of the fridge a bit more than I do now.

Posted: 20 January 2008 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-11-17

If you dont use your starter very often, you can keep it in the freezer for as long as you wish, and then, feed it a day before you wish t use it.using