2 of 2
Bosch or DLX?
Posted: 25 January 2010 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-02-23

[/size][size=5]Hello All. I read this post several months ago, and wanted to chime in because I have experience with the Kitchen Aids and a Bosch, but I had not yet made a cake with my Bosch. Now I have, and it worked just fine. First let me give a little history. I have an Artisan Kitchen Aid, which I have had for over 15 years. It is still a good machine that I plan to give to my grand-daughter. However, about five years ago (after the point at which they supposedly went away from their plastic gear boxes), I bought a KA Pro 600. It was fine until I started making sourdough bread every weekend. I burned up the transmission on about three pounds of dough. I replaced that machine with a Bosch, and I love it. I have had five pounds of dough in my Bosch, and it doesn’t even groan. I have been able to replace my food processor, blender, and mixer with the Bosch. I recently made Rose’s Orange Chiffon cake, and it turned out perfect - I do have the stainless steel bowl. For this and for the ability to replace all those other appliances, I purchased all the Bosch attachments. The Bosch blender does a better job of crushing ice than my VitaMix. My only disappointment has been with the size of the feed-tube on the food processor attachment. It is considerably smaller than the KA Food Processor’s. Also, the Bosch does not have an attachment for rolling and cutting pasta. However, they do have the attachment for extruding pasta, which it also does without groaning. When I want rolled and cut pasta, I have become accustomed to hand-cranking it with a Marcato Atlas machine, and now would not purchase such an attachment if it became available.  The Bosch with all attachments is no small investment, but the attachments can be purchased over time, and this is a machine that will last for decades. My twin is still using her Bosch that she has had for over 25 years. In closing and in fairness, I must report that I did not report the failure of the KA 600 Pro to Kitchen Aid, but when I have dealt with their customer service, they have been extraordinary. Also, because the KA is so common, KA and others are always developing great attachments for it. For example, Williams & Sonoma has a new pasta extruder for the KA that looks as if it would solve the problem of the noodles coming out horizontally to a vertical drop,  with the noodles sometimes sticking together at the exit point. Were I not an avid bread-baker, and not trying to reduce the number of appliances that sit on my counter, I would have remained a KA customer and been very happy. However, for my applications, I absolutely love my Bosch.

Posted: 25 January 2010 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-09-09

ooo thanks!

I’m waiting for my Bosch to arrive
I do like to invest in 1 appliance and probably buy all the attachments over time smile
I can’t wait until I start baking with mine
So excited

I want to try fondant in mine.
My friend tried to make fondant in her KA mixer that she got as a Christmas present just recently, and it already started to stress her machine too much :(
So she ended up buying fondant b/c she’s too lazy to kneed it and she doesn’t want to break her mixer already.

Posted: 25 January 2010 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-23

I hope you like it. I am certain that you will not have any trouble doing fondant or anything else with your Bosch. It is such a workhorse. Good luck!

Posted: 25 January 2010 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks, kerrywebb1 for the great analysis!  I am getting more convinced about the Bosch—especially for large batches of bread!  Do you find you need to alter the directions from recipes (medium speed is more like slow, etc.)?

Posted: 25 January 2010 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-23

I am not very rigid when determining the speed. I guess I tend to start off at lower speeds and then go up as conditions seem to require. This last weekend I made pasta dough by putting 3 eggs (approx 62 g each), 65 g of water, and 500 g of general purpose flour into the bowl. I pulsed it a couple of times, and it was done mixing. Then I like to finish with a little hand kneading.  Here is a set of videos you might like viewing: http://www.everythingkitchens.com/bosch-video-launch.html On th.e video titled, “Bosch Universal Demonstration”, there is a demonstration of how to make bread without measuring the flour. I used that method last weekend for my regular whole wheat (non sour dough) bread, and it turned out perfectly! This is a fun machine. Here is another video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYq2r205PEU

Posted: 12 February 2010 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Hi Kerry,

When you made the cake, did you fold in the ingredients by hand or did you use the M function on the Bosch?

Last night, I used the bosch to mash my potatoes and make french bread
the bread was as expected so that was really nice
and the mash potatoes were exellcent
less work for my brother to mash and mashed it so well
no lumps at all… smile very happy

I tried making a genoise but I screwed up the time needed to whip the eggs… :(
so I’ll have to retry that before posting about genoise

i’ll be baking up a batch up cupcakes and making buttercream on Sunday….
going to make chinese radish cake and probably some radish and red bean pastry tomorrow for new years smile

Posted: 07 September 2010 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Hi guys….
so I’ve had my Bosch for a while
got a stainless steel pan over the holidays
disappointed that the middle piece was still plastic…but other then that it was awesome
I beat all my egg whites in that b/c i can be sure that the oil is not stuck in the plastic

for the first i donno how many cakes…whenever folding is required…i did it by hand..b/c i’m scared of screwing it up

But lately i’ve finally decided to try…folding using the M option on the Bosch….which is what the seller told me to us…(also in the manual)

and it actually worked raspberry
it didn’t deflate my cake anymore then i would if i manually folded things in.
I found that it helps a bit inbetween pulses if I go in with a spatula to help bring some of the mixture from the bottom to the top..to help things mix faster…but yeah

Here’s a pic of the chocolate angel food cake i just made yesterday from TCB
it’s so light and fluffy smile

Image Attachments
CAF copy.jpg

Posted: 07 September 2010 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

It’s so tall, must be very light and airy!  Thanks so much for reporting on the Bosch, good to hear.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

2 of 2

‹‹ Spatula      Old Post re: Tilia foodsaver ››