parchment paper for sugar cookies
Posted: 24 November 2009 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-11-24

Hi Rose!
This is the first time I’ve ever participated in a blog, so I’ll apologize in advance for any etiquette goofs I may make!
I love to bake but don’t like to bake sugar cookies because of the difficulty of transferring the cookies from the rolling surface to the pan without them getting all distorted in the process. So I’ve started rolling them out on pan-sized parchment and just removing the excess before putting them on the pan and baking them. I am the proud owner of The Cake Bible, The Pie and Pastry Bible, and Rose’s Christmas Cookies and I know that there must be some reason that you haven’t suggested this in one of those AWESOME cookbooks (I read them like textbooks and feel like I am getting direct instruction from you!). I have also been baking your Lemon Poppyseed Pound Cake for YEARS, because I own and love The Silver Palate Cookbook.
So anyhoo…does that sound like a good idea to your expert ears (eyes gulp ), or not?
Thanks,
Laurie Lewis

Posted: 25 November 2009 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Laurie,

Rose doesn’t always check the forums. It is better to post on the main blog if you have a message you would like her to see.

Posted: 25 November 2009 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thanks for the tip. I’ll see if I can figure out how to do that!

Posted: 25 November 2009 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Laurie, welcome.  What I learned from another baking friend is this:  Divide your dough into 2 or 3 pieces.  Refrigerate the piece(s) you are not working with.  Roll your dough out to your desired thickness between two sheets of parchment paper, place this on a cookie sheet (so it lies flat) and freeze the dough between the parchment sheets.  Repeat with the other piece(s) of dough.  Let it freeze solid, or pretty solid; this doesn’t take very long because the dough is in thin sheets.  Working quickly, as the dough will thaw very fast on your counter, remove from freezer, peel off one side of the parchment paper. Flip the dough over onto the now peeled parchment and peel off the other side.  Still working quickly, cut your cookies and they should stick inside the cookie cutter.  Just ease it out by gently pushing on it with your fingers, and place it on your parchment lined baking sheet.  Repeat (working quickly) until the dough thaws to the point that this doesn’t work well anymore.  Refreeze that piece and go on to the next sheet of dough until all your cookies are cut.  You can re-roll all the scraps without any toughness added to the cookies because you have not used any flour when you rolled out the dough for the first time.  After I have cut a full sheet of cookies, I will refrigerate the entire sheet for 5 minutes or so to firm up the dough, then pop into the oven.  I hope this is clear enough. : )

Posted: 26 November 2009 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thanks so much!

Posted: 26 November 2009 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-09-25

I do it similar to MrsM but don’t freeze.  This is how I do it, I like this method as it saves time.

I don’t chill my dough before rolling.  I roll my dough between two sheets of pachment right after I make it.  Leave the parchment on and stack them on cookie sheets then chill for about 30 minutes.  Then I take them out, put one on a cookie sheet, peel off the top parchment and cut out my shapes, remove the exess, then bake.  smile

Posted: 26 November 2009 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thanks so much - Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted: 31 March 2010 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-03-31

I am an infrequent baker but decided that I’d like to make some cookies this holiday season. The consensus on the Board seemed to be that the Martha Stewart recipe was best for sugar cookies. The recipe calls for lining the cookie sheets with parchment paper. How essential is this? When I went to the grocery store today, all parchment paper was sold out. When I made sugar cookies as a kid, I recall that we placed the cookies directly on the cookie sheet (ungreased, I think). Comments?

Signature 

memory cards

Posted: 31 March 2010 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

My favorite sugar cookie is from Rose’s Christmas Cookies, and it calls for either a non-stick cookie sheet, or a greased cookie sheet.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 31 March 2010 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18

DENIALMARK;
  Good morning to you from Las Vegas, NV. I agree with Julie’s method…but here is another thought for you to consider. You can use WAX paper as well. rolleyes
  Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 13 May 2010 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

My method is similar, too:  I roll and cut.  Then I peel back the “negative space” dough, which leaves only the cookies themselves on the parchment.  Then I refrigerate/freeze and when they’re firm, put them face down on the cookie sheet and peel back the parchment.

The hardest part is not eating the “negative space” dough as I peel!!!