3” Cake Pans
Posted: 25 November 2009 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I have recently upgraded a few of my cake pans to magic line 3” deep cake pans.  Just wondering if there is a rose factor to use for these pans ( my old pans are 2” high )  Just waiting for them to arrive.  I can’t wait to use them!!

Thanks so much.

Posted: 26 November 2009 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I am assuming that since there have been no replies that I could use the same amount of batter in the 3” pans as I do in the 2” pans,  shouldn’t make a difference.  But I could also increase the amount of batter, for a taller cake in the 3” pans.  Which in case I would need to know how much cake batter the 3” pan can hold, by pouring water into the pan.  Assuming that the pan is filled between half and two thirds full.  I also assume that I will need to increase the baking time but not the baking temperature.  Well I guess I will try this theory out when I receive my pans.

Posted: 26 November 2009 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Lisa, to fill the 3” pans half way up, you need to multipy the recipe by 1.5.  You are changing the height of the batter from 1” to 1.5”.  I don’t think Rose recommends using 3” pans for the regular recipe where the batter is 1” deep.  There are many forum entries about this topic.

Posted: 29 November 2009 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Yes, in general, Rose’s recipes don’t work well in 3 inch deep pans—there are just a few exceptions in the new book.  But I know from experience that butter cakes in the 3 inch pans don’t bake evenly—plus they take much longer to bake done.