making heavy cream out of light
Posted: 27 November 2009 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-11-27

I’m new to this blog. My name is Dana, and I love to bake and love all of Rose’s cookbooks. My daughter is 17 and whenever she has a question about baking I tell her to check “The bible.”

Yesterday for Thanksgiving, I wanted to make my husband a banana cream pie. I found a recipe that looked great in the “Pie and Pastry Bible.” I was making several other pies as well. I got low on heavy cream and consulting “The Cake Bible” (which is known in our house as just “The Bible”) found that we could make heavy cream out of light cream. Living in Massachusetts, where stores aren’t open on Thanksgiving, I sent my husband out to local convenience stores and drugstores to find heavy cream. He couldn’t find any heavy cream, but called and at the 4th store he went to, he found light cream and whipped cream in a can. I told him to buy both.

At home, we then melted butter and added it to the light cream, following Rose’s directions exactly. We made banana flavored butter (by adding vanilla and creme de banana)! We still had some more light cream, and I decided to try it again. This time we made unflavored butter (figuring we didn’t want to waste the flavorings in case it didn’t work).

This morning I went out, bought heavy cream, and finished the banana cream pie, which my husband loves.

Next time we’re out of heavy cream, and all the stores are closed, what can we do?

Posted: 29 November 2009 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Dana, I’m not sure I understand your question. As you indicate, Rose has instructions for adding more butterfat to cream.  It sounds like you tried it—did it not work well?

Posted: 29 November 2009 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-11-27

We followed the directions in her book, and we made butter, twice. I’d just like to know what went wrong.

Thanks,

Dana

Posted: 30 November 2009 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Sorry, I misread your original post.  If you made butter, then my first guess would be that you over beat the cream.

Posted: 18 January 2010 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I tried this recipe today and I thought it worked well, so I ‘m pretty sure that it was overbeating.