Cake pan size
Posted: 27 November 2009 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2009-06-30

I own a beautifully-proportioned cake pan, 7” round x 4” high. I never see recipes for cakes that would fit this tin. I know that in order to alter a cake to fit that tin size, I need to adjust temperature and time. Are there any good places to learn how precisely to adjust for a tin of this size? Thanks…..

Posted: 28 November 2009 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Hi Tim - I am also using odd cake pan sizes. I am sure the experienced bakers can help you. There are tables and other stats in the cake bible which provide you with factors with which you can multiply the ingredients.

There a couple of posts on this but you really need the assistance of some of the maths/baking experts here such as Julie
I am still battling to grasp this concept so it can apply to all cakes. I am still studying the Cake Bible - Rose has included several factors for various cake sizes in a table but I am not sure if they apply to all recipes. I don’t feel confident enough to advise you. Do you have the Cake Bible?

I am not using US standard 9 inch pans which are thus far unavailable locally. I am trying to buy some but thus far no luck in locating. It makes baking so much more difficult.

I do wish the pro bakers would compose a sticky which we could all have as a guide for non mathematicians! The site need this particularly as Rose has a growing client base outside of the US.

Posted: 29 November 2009 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Tim - I omitted those page numbers for the Cake Bible - Note these calculations are all for ROSE Recipes. 

There is a master chart for butter cakes on Page 490 - gives you the Rose factor (for various pan sizes) to multiply her base recipe.

On Pg 502 the same for genoise.

On Pg 456 a brief section on non-standard pans - basically take the cup volume of the pan and adjusting the quantities for Genoise. 

Good Baking!

Posted: 29 November 2009 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I don’t think any of Rose’s cakes will bake well in a pan that deep. She has just a few for 3 inch pans, and those are exceptional cases.  As far as recipe size, you can bake half of a 9 x 2 inch recipe in a 7 x 2 inch pan, so presumably a full 9 x 2 recipe would be what you would need for 7 x 4, but again, I don’t think the cake would bake well at that depth.

Posted: 30 November 2009 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Hi Matthew - I was interested in your post as I am buying new cake pans - Should one buy 9 x 2” and not 9 x 3”??

What size do you recommend overall for Roses Recipes?

Posted: 30 November 2009 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I would buy 9x2 first, and then if you can find them 9x1.5, especially if you want to work with the older book. 9x3 could still be useful for some cakes, especially if you buy removable bottom pans, but this size won’t come up as frequently.

Posted: 30 November 2009 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Many thanks I have changed my order to 9x2.

Posted: 30 November 2009 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

You may wish to use an inverted flower nail in the batter as Rose does for the Orange Glow Chiffon (in RHC)—this may help it bake more evenly in such a deep pan.

Posted: 02 December 2009 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

You may want to focus on sponge cakes to try to work with the 4” deep pan, but I’m in Matthew’s boat, most cakes (Rose’s) will not bake well in a 4” deep pan of any size.  It’s just too deep. 

Bread might work- how about a rum-soaked brioche or monkey bread, or even panetonne?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls