blind baking a pie shell for custard pie….where to find instructions on site??
Posted: 30 November 2009 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-01-20

Hi everyone,

I have two recipes for coconut custard pie.  One recipe requires a fully prebaked pie shell, filling cooked on the stove.  The other recipe calls for a partially baked pie shell, then adding filling to shell to be baked in the oven.  Can someone direct me to where on the site I can find directions, step by step, with details for oven temps and times, also when to add egg wash to bottom crust?  I’ve been searching the internet for help, but often, the details are missing and I’m a bit confused.

Thank you for whatever help or advice you can offer.  I’m doing a trial run before I bring either of these pies to a holiday dinner.

Posted: 30 November 2009 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Here is past post by Rose. It is brief, but it may help you with blind baking—baking a pie crust without a filling.

“...you need to chill the crust before baking, line it with parchment or a large coffee filter, and fill it with beans or peas….”

Rose is talking about dry, uncooked beans.

from:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/10/pie_crust_missionary_1.html

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 30 November 2009 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I would recommend that you get a copy of the pie and pastry bible, which has full details on this topic, including full and partial baking.

Posted: 30 November 2009 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-01-20

Thank you, Kathleen and Matthew.  There wasn’t enough information in Rose’s reply.  I’ll check out the Pie and Pastry Bible at my local Border’s.  I appreciate your getting back to me so quickly.