buying oven
Posted: 20 January 2008 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-11-18

hey guys, what’s a good oven that you could recommend since i want to renovate my house and get a new oven… i’m planning a home cooking and baking business…  and hopefully, it’s an electric oven… is smeg good?

Posted: 20 January 2008 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1034
Joined  2007-11-21

All I know is that I have a Viking…and it isn’t exactly perfect.  Oven temp is a little tricky to regulate.

Posted: 20 January 2008 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  793
Joined  2007-11-15

I have a Smeg oven, but as I am in the UK it might be a completely different model to what you can buy.  Where are you? For what it’s worth I am completely happy with mine, it is a fan oven which cooks quicker than a conventional oven and I lower the thermostat by 20 deg.

Posted: 20 January 2008 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-11-28

I just looked at the Smeg web site - are you in the U.S.?  It looked like they only had one model oven that was 24”, not the most common 30”.  Personally, I’d find that a bit limiting, although there seemed to be no end of combination of heating elements/convection you could use.

I recently traded up to a GE Profile range w/ glass cooktop.  5.3 cu ft convection oven, 3 racks.  I’m really happy with it, although going from “regular,” coil-type electric elements to a glass cooktop requires a bit of adjustment (gas isn’t an option in my house).  You should check out Consumer’s Reports—I find them to be very useful in being able to sort through performance and features vs price.  They give the pros/cons that factor into their product rating so you can adjust their ratings for your own needs.

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

My Facebook Profile or follow @Cookin_n_Cussin on Twitter

Posted: 21 January 2008 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2610
Joined  2007-11-15

I have a KitchenAid Dual Fuel Range that I love! - high output sealed gas burners on top, electric oven (with or without convection), bread proofing cycle (haven’t used that yet), self clean, all stainless steel.  Looks like a more expensive high end stainless range.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 21 January 2008 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-11-28

I totally forgot about my bread proofing cycle!!  I love that, although I’m not sure it’s DRASTICALLY better than a regular oven with the light on.  Plus the convection fan comes on from time to time while it’s set to proof and sometimes blows the plastic cover off the rising loaves.

After the range was delivered, I was bound-and-determined to use as many features as I could in the first 24 hours grin  I baked bread, roasted a chicken, made stew… I had a blast grin

Only thing I haven’t used (much) to date is the bridge burner.  I need to find a griddle with a flat bottom (not reversible). I think Calphalon has one.  Oh yeah… the one casualty of the new range was my Lodge cast-iron pan.  It has a slight ridge around the bottom edge, so it doesn’t rest against the glass cooktop like it needs to.

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

My Facebook Profile or follow @Cookin_n_Cussin on Twitter

Posted: 09 March 2008 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  662
Joined  2008-01-24

I love my Gaggenau. I wanted three features and only Gaggenau offers them all.
1. Actual proofing cycle… No fan No light just regulated 100 temp
2. Pizza stone… The stone fills the entire bottom of the oven and has a dedicated element that heats the stone from below
3. Rotisserie… Chicken and even small turkeys are very moist when cooked on a rotisserie.

Caveats:
Like all the euro ovens its a little small and a little/lot expensive.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 17 April 2015 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  165
Joined  2010-01-18

Patricia, I am wondering how your Kitchen Aide range is doing? I bought a Dual-Fuel Jenn-Aire in 2004 ($2000), and have loved it. Up til now… However, last spring the oven light quit. When I called Whirlpool, I was told that the light is only sold as a complete unit (not just a bulb!), and that it had to be installed by a serviceman. Imagine my shock to discover it would be over $100! Shortly after that three of the numbers on the electronic control panel quit working. So we got a serviceman in, to replace the “Control panel Skin”. To the tune of $485! That was last June. Funny enough as soon as that was done the silly light magically worked again! ($100 out the window!) Needless to say, I didn’t do that much baking over the summer. So it wasn’t til Christmas Baking time early in Dec that I noticed it still was acting strange. In the new year things came to a head when I became convinced the temperatures were not consistent, especially when adjusting the temp during use. By this time I’d even bought a second oven thermometer to be sure I was getting accurate readings. Then the fault code went off repeatedly one night - til we actually had to throw the breaker to shut the dang thing up! Totally in a freak out - I called my repair guy next day and gave him a big earful. During the conversation the Fault Code conveniently came on again. tongue laugh Anyways, he was now thinking it was heat leakage due to worn door seal and hinges, and recommended replacing those. I said ok but it still seemed like the Control Panel - perhaps we got a faulty one? He informed me that the part is only warranteed for 90 days! I almost hit the roof! After some serious whining he agreed to replace it, at his own expense. Well long story short, last month we finally got the panel replaced again, as well as the hinges & seal (another $150), and I happily resumed baking. A couple weeks ago I tried to make Ladyfingers at 400 degrees. They turned out great. A week later I tried again, and they spread all out to thin rubbery pancakes. Hmmmm suspicions aroused. Last Friday we were finally going to make a Turkey I had been wanting to do since Feb. I had Butch all ready to go in the oven. Oven preheating to 400 to brown it as I always do to start. Next thing the idiot Fault Code is going off - AGAIN - I almost had a breakdown. 10 people to feed, a stuffed bird and a crapped out oven! Thank God my neighbour was home and let me cook it in her oven. So here were again Now he thinks its the Clock mechanism overheating. I am getting pretty frustrated not having a reliable oven and beginning to go into baker’s withdrawal. So that’s why I am asking, ... how do you like your Kitchen Aid???

Posted: 17 April 2015 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2610
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Kuchenbaaker - it seems nothing is made to last anymore.  With that said, I haven’t really had any trouble with my KitcenAid dual-fuel range.  I’ve had it for about 12 years, and I know KitchenAid was sold to another company at some point during the last decade or so - not sure if my range was made before or after the switch.  I remember the very first time I used the self-clean cycle, something happened to the internal thermometer and it no longer worked, but it was covered by the warranty.  And there was the time my husband accidentally broke the inner pane of glass in the door, but that too was covered under the warranty.  The bulbs in my range are easy to change, and error codes never appear on the display. 

I always us an oven thermometer.  For example, if I’ve been baking multiple batches of cookies, the oven temp can fluctuate from the oven door opening and closing, so using an oven thermometer helps me know if I should wait a few minutes before baking the next batch, or sometimes I need to hold the oven door open a few extra seconds to allow excess heat to escape.  I hope that helps.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 17 April 2015 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  662
Joined  2008-01-24

This has become a common problem with modern appliances. Everything now has control boards loaded with components that can fail. The frustrating thing is that for only a few extra dollars manufacturers could use better parts. But, they farm these things out to Chinese suppliers who only care about initial cost. We had some friends with a Thermador dual fuel range. The gas top worked fine but the control board for the oven died every two years. The third time they gave up repairing it and bought a Wolf which has simpler controls. The hope being that simpler would be better.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”