buying oven
Posted: 20 January 2008 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-11-18

hey guys, what’s a good oven that you could recommend since i want to renovate my house and get a new oven… i’m planning a home cooking and baking business…  and hopefully, it’s an electric oven… is smeg good?

Posted: 20 January 2008 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

All I know is that I have a Viking…and it isn’t exactly perfect.  Oven temp is a little tricky to regulate.

Posted: 20 January 2008 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

I have a Smeg oven, but as I am in the UK it might be a completely different model to what you can buy.  Where are you? For what it’s worth I am completely happy with mine, it is a fan oven which cooks quicker than a conventional oven and I lower the thermostat by 20 deg.

Posted: 20 January 2008 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-11-28

I just looked at the Smeg web site - are you in the U.S.?  It looked like they only had one model oven that was 24”, not the most common 30”.  Personally, I’d find that a bit limiting, although there seemed to be no end of combination of heating elements/convection you could use.

I recently traded up to a GE Profile range w/ glass cooktop.  5.3 cu ft convection oven, 3 racks.  I’m really happy with it, although going from “regular,” coil-type electric elements to a glass cooktop requires a bit of adjustment (gas isn’t an option in my house).  You should check out Consumer’s Reports—I find them to be very useful in being able to sort through performance and features vs price.  They give the pros/cons that factor into their product rating so you can adjust their ratings for your own needs.

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

My Facebook Profile or follow @Cookin_n_Cussin on Twitter

Posted: 21 January 2008 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I have a KitchenAid Dual Fuel Range that I love! - high output sealed gas burners on top, electric oven (with or without convection), bread proofing cycle (haven’t used that yet), self clean, all stainless steel.  Looks like a more expensive high end stainless range.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 21 January 2008 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-11-28

I totally forgot about my bread proofing cycle!!  I love that, although I’m not sure it’s DRASTICALLY better than a regular oven with the light on.  Plus the convection fan comes on from time to time while it’s set to proof and sometimes blows the plastic cover off the rising loaves.

After the range was delivered, I was bound-and-determined to use as many features as I could in the first 24 hours grin  I baked bread, roasted a chicken, made stew… I had a blast grin

Only thing I haven’t used (much) to date is the bridge burner.  I need to find a griddle with a flat bottom (not reversible). I think Calphalon has one.  Oh yeah… the one casualty of the new range was my Lodge cast-iron pan.  It has a slight ridge around the bottom edge, so it doesn’t rest against the glass cooktop like it needs to.

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

My Facebook Profile or follow @Cookin_n_Cussin on Twitter

Posted: 09 March 2008 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I love my Gaggenau. I wanted three features and only Gaggenau offers them all.
1. Actual proofing cycle… No fan No light just regulated 100 temp
2. Pizza stone… The stone fills the entire bottom of the oven and has a dedicated element that heats the stone from below
3. Rotisserie… Chicken and even small turkeys are very moist when cooked on a rotisserie.

Caveats:
Like all the euro ovens its a little small and a little/lot expensive.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”