what are your opinions, if any, about the cookbook by Mary Cech called “Savory Baking”
Posted: 01 December 2009 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-09-13

Today on NPR web page (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120683356)  I was very happy to see Rose’s new cake book listed as one of the best cookbooks of 2009. In the same piece there was a discussion of a cookbook by Mary Cech called “Savory Baking) Here is what the author said:

“Savory Baking, by Mary Cech, paperback, 168 pages, Chronicle Books, list price: $24.95

This book claims it is the only book devoted to nonsweet baking, which I know for a fact to be untrue. However, the recipes are right on the mark. It’s not that baking without sugar is anything new ? can you imagine the world of hors d’oeuvres without a small army of salty little puff-pastry bites? Cech has plenty of those savory little sideshows, like Potato and Scallion Biscuits and Roasted Red Pepper Creme Fraiche Quiche. But not content just to open for the main act, Cech marches straight on through to dinner and dessert. There is something perversely satisfying about a cookie that refuses to play nice, like Thyme, Lemon and Sea-Salt Shortbread, or Black-Rimmed Pistachio Wafers.

You could think of this book as a United Nations of crustdom. Every dough that can conceivably be used as a container shows up here: puff pastry, phyllo, pate brisee (that’s “pie crust” to us unwashed masses), pate a choux. They’re marbled, flecked with tiny spices or seeds; they’re sharp and cheesy or buttery and flaky. They’re tender, they’re crumbly, they’re layered or leavened. The only thing they’re not is sweet. “

Has anybody read the book? tried any of the recipes? have any opinions?

Thank you one and all
Shokat

Posted: 01 December 2009 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks for pointing out that site - it even comes with recipes…. The Savory Baking looks good - I think I’ll give the thyme lemon and salt shortbread a spin next time we have guests for dinner…. Will get back to you!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com