baking quick breads
Posted: 03 December 2009 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-12-22

My quick bread comes out too dense.  Too well done on the outside and raw in the middle sometimes.  I want to bake them in ceramic mini pans.  All suggestions gladly welcomed.

Posted: 03 December 2009 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I think the problem is the pans.  When you use ceramic, glass, or dark colored metal pans, the pans tend to get hotter than a regular metal pan. Try lowering the baking temperature by 25 degrees.

Posted: 03 December 2009 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-22

Have tried lowering the temp 25 degrees. Originally the bread came out with a huge puff-up in the middle with the sides being too dark and the interior undercooked. I reduced the temp 25 degrees, mixed all by hand so as not to over-mix. The bread baked beautifully on the exterior, but still a little raw or too dense on the inside.

I tried covering the bread with foil to prevent burning, and cooked longer, but to no avail. Should I thin out the batter somewhat? Am I over-mixing? Am I under-mixing? How about baking them in a pan with water, like custard? I really want to make this work, because I bought some real pretty Christmas pans and want to give the bread as gifts!

Posted: 03 December 2009 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

You are going to need someone more experienced than me.  Question…does the recipe work when you use a different pan?  If not…I think you are going to need a new recipe.

Won’t be online again till the morning.  Good luck.  I know how frustrating this sort of thing can be.

Posted: 03 December 2009 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-22

Yes, the recipes work okay using foil pans 5-3/4 x 3-1/3 x 2 inches, just sometimes a little dense.

Posted: 03 December 2009 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

The density of your quickbreads might be due to old leavening. Try using new baking powder and see how that works. Make sure all your ingredients are at room-temperature before you mix the batter. Double-check the temperature of your oven, using an accurate thermometer. It might be running too hot, which is why the exterior is done before the interior.

If all these things fail to produce the kind of result you want, the fault may be with your recipe.