Rose’s red velvet
Posted: 04 December 2009 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2009-11-23

I just received the book heavenly cakes.  cheese
I’d like to give a try to the red velvet, but question is: can I use wiltons red no taste? How much?
Thank you!
I tried to make red velved twice last year for Xmas. Fist one turned out ok but brown (used beetroot + cocoa). The second one had to throw it away as I used a red dye we have in Italy, it’s liquid, and cake turned out so bitter we could not eat it….....

Posted: 14 December 2009 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

Anybody willing to help pls?

Posted: 14 December 2009 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Maghina, I have not made this cake or worked with the Wilton no-taste red- that said, I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work.  Use the amount called for in the recipe, 1 oz.

In the notes on p.85 you may find a reason why your previous attempts with beet juice turned brown (the batter needs to be acidic for beet juice to maintain its color). 

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 16 December 2009 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

Thank you Julie, I have 1 oz no taste red, I’ll give you a try!  grin

Posted: 17 December 2009 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2595
Joined  2007-11-15

Eek - I’ve used Wilton’s No-Taste Red Paste and it’s pretty concentrated in color, probably quite a bit more than liquid red food coloring.  I’d just add it a little at a time until you get a nice red batter.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 17 December 2009 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

....I was going to make yet another mistake, lol! I’ll do like that then! Thanks for the warning!!!!!!

Posted: 07 February 2010 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2010-01-18

For sure do not use the same amount as if you had a liquid! The paste is very concentrated (meant for tinting decorator’s icings)... I’d say about half the amount if not less! Keep us posted on the results - as I am planning to do a few of these for the Valentine’s weekend at the church cafe and may use no-taste paste too!

Posted: 09 February 2010 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

I’m a bit frightened…......I don’t know if I will dare to make it…..........

Posted: 09 February 2010 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

Well I have to bake mine tomorrow so perhaps I will give it a go…. at least with the no-taste paste you don’t have to be afraid of it tasting yukky - even if you add more than necessary… I have done very dark red candy clay and it tasted fine!

Posted: 10 February 2010 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

Ok pls keep us informed about the outcome!!!

Posted: 10 February 2010 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

I have also seen the no-taste red in liquid form, that’s what I thought you were referring to.  It would be great to hear about how much paste coloring is needed.  With the paste, you might want to use water in place of the liquid food color to make the moisture content of the cake come out right.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 11 February 2010 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

Hi Maghina et al!
I made a triple recipe of Rose’s Red Velvet yesterday - and tried using the Wilton’s No-Taste Red paste colour for one recipe. I separated out 1/3 of the egg whites and added the colour to that - until I got the right colour to match the remaining 2/3 quantity… (too onerous to make it 3 times separately!)... anyways I mixed it all together as in the recipe.. Had perfect results, and came to the conclusion that you can substitute about 1/3 the amount of paste colour - or 1 teaspoon in place of the tablespoon of liquid colour called for. So 2 tsp per recipe. If you have trouble blending it into the egg whites, just dilute it first with a bit of glycerin if you have it, or some vodka, or as a last resort water. I doubt the wee bit of difference in moisture should make any noticeable difference in the finished product. I had to use bleached all-purpose flour for the cake as cake flour is too costly for the church cafe…. If it looks good enough to photograph when done I may post a pic…

Posted: 11 February 2010 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

Thanks a lot for the info, kuchenbaaker! Wait for the pics and will hopefully make it during the w.e.

Posted: 12 February 2010 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

Oh - BTW - I forgot to mention that I did use the extra amount of cocoa powder to obtain the darker colour.  Assembled the cakes today - they were a little crumbly, had a very fine textured crumb and pieces of the edges kept breaking off. Perhaps I baked them a little too much given our altitude - and possibly too high a temp. The gas ovens are not necessarily exact at church… But they looked moist inside. Will see how they slice Sunday. I am sure they will sell no matter what!

Posted: 07 February 2014 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

Here is a picture of one of the finished cakes. It did sink in the middle some, don’t know why…. but there’s a multitude of sins creamcheese icing is good to disguise wink  It was received very well as I recall… just returned to this thread as I’m now in the process of trying to rmemebr how I made a two layer 12x18 cake using Red Velvet and Chocolate…

Image Attachments
IMG_2947.jpg