Buttercream too hot, melted butter: Salvageable?
Posted: 05 December 2009 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-12-05

I am making classic buttercream frosting and I started adding the butter before the meringue had cooled down sufficiently. The butter melted, the volume of the mixture deflated, and now I have a mixing bowl of white soup in my refrigerator. Can this mixture be saved? Will it whip back up if I chill it for a while? Or is the deflation permanent? Should I throw this mixture away and start over, or is there something I can do to make a usable frosting out of it?

Posted: 05 December 2009 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

double post, sorry.

Posted: 05 December 2009 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09
Whitebow - 05 December 2009 10:33 PM

Will it whip back up if I chill it for a while?

It doesn’t hurt to try. My philosophy is nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck. Do let us know how you get on.

Posted: 06 December 2009 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25

I’m kind of like Carol on this one, but I have to ask: If the merangue is not still inflated and it got hot enough to set the albumin, how do you plan on reinflating the merangue foam?

I would think that is like trying to reinflate a soffle after it’s been taken from the oven.  Beating it now is just chopping up cooked egg white.

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 06 December 2009 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

I would beat it over a bowl of ice water, making sure it doesn’t get colder than 65oF

Never beat this when colder than that because the butter becomes hard and grainy and it will separate.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 06 December 2009 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-12-05

Update: I searched online for help. I found one source where someone else had the same problem. They were told by other members of the forum that the mixture could not be saved and should be discarded. Another forum advised a person with the same problem to stiffen the mixture with confectioner’s sugar and pass it off as intentional (ick).

After being online for about 20-30 minutes, I went back to the kitchen and took the white soup out of the refrigerator and put it back on the mixing stand and whipped it. It did not reinflate to the original volume but it did fluff back up about 50%, and that’s pretty good. I whipped in more butter and also the cooled, melted chocolate, and whipped it a couple more minutes. It was great! It did not have the total volume of properly mixed buttercream, but it was smooth and tasty, and it formed well.

I used a large-size decorator’s tip and put swirls on top of all my cupcakes, and they were great. I got tons of compliments (they were for a birthday party). So, crisis averted! And I learned to *let the meringue cool* before beating in the butter!

Whitebow

Posted: 06 December 2009 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

If we are talking about the mousseline bc or similar meringue bc, in my opinion, the meringue does deflate almost completelly in the proper case, too.  So, I think you did just well.

Try watch Rose’s youtube demos, also my take on the silk meringue bc, which I have so far posted a video on just the first meringue part.  http://myyellowkitchen.wordpress.com/2009/11/08/burnt-01-orange-silk-meringue-buttercream-whipping-egg-whites-to-stiff-peaks-page-125/

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 07 December 2009 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

I don’t know the intricacies of it, but I kind of thought that the meringue must be deflating completely too, especially if it curdles before re-emulsifying.  Or when we re-beat it after storage, and particularly if it has been re-beaten when too cold, and it breaks down but comes together again.  Somehow, for some reason, it does regain most of its original lightness when you rebeat it, but I do feel the original most marvelous airiness exists only immediately after making the buttercream.