Suggestions for TCB that’s coming apart?
Posted: 21 January 2008 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-01-21

I’m new to the forum, but I’ve been a fan of Rose’s books since A Passion for Chocolate. My copy of The Cake Bible and Rose’s Christmas Cookies are both coming apart—I’d say at the seams, but there doesn’t appear to be any stitching in the binding. Both books have had vigorous and frequent use and I wouldn’t want to be without either. Has anyone else had the same problem—pages simply coming away from the glued-in binding? I saw some mention in other posts that these books are often used as textbooks—is there some professional edition with a better binding?

I’ll replace both books if necessary, but I wonder if the same thing won’t happen again. Or should I just put a rubber band around the book, and keep shuffling loose pages?

Thanks,
Roger

Posted: 21 January 2008 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

both are non-stitched and have come apart for most of us!  if you get a newer copy, it is from the same publisher, same binding, non-stitched.

you can take your bibles to a book rebound service, that’s pretty much the only alternative there is to keep as a book.  Some people have completely taken apart all pages, 3 hole punched, and place them in a ring folder, which is great for when you want to handle one recipe at a time.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 21 January 2008 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I agree with Hector.  I think some people have also bought plastic page protectors (with the three holes) and have inserted the individual pages in the protectors and then put the whole thing in a 3-ring binder.  I use a protected cookbook holder, so despite constant use, mine are in good shape.  Only part of the photo section is falling out of the cake and P&P;bibles.

Posted: 22 January 2008 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

My binding has separated but no loose pages yet.  I keep my cake bible (used the most) wrapped tightly in a book cover, which helps a great deal.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 22 January 2008 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-11-05

just want to mention that such is my disgust and disappointment—i should try to put a postive spin on this and say instead—such is my conviction that a cookbook meant to be used should have a stitched binding that years ago i wrote a “message to my readers” note on the amazon review page stating that i would never again publish with a house that will not stitch the binding. i used this arguement at norton when i wrote the bread bible and insisted that i had put this promise in writing and would not break it. so the bread bible is stitched and my upcoming book will be as well. my cake bibles and xmas cookie books are also falling apart. some day i mean to have my first copy off the press stitched and bound in leather (if i ever have time)!

i like the solution of plastic 3 hole page protectors—really ideal to work from.

Posted: 22 January 2008 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

The one good thing about the book coming apart is that you can hang the pages on the fridge with a magnet while you work.  In my small kitchen…it helps a lot.  I have bought a new cake bible…but kept the loose pages for the recipies that I use most frequently…hang them on the fridge and I’m good to go!

Posted: 22 January 2008 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

i do the same thing!

Posted: 22 January 2008 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

I think, ‘falling out’ Cake Bible is part of the fun, and somehow tells me the book and the baker has been put to good use and worship!

My first Cake Bible (1990?) has ‘fallen out’, first the pictures, then the most loved pages.  One day, I’ve decided to not let this process upset me in a long slow agony, so I’ve decided to take charge and ‘finished’ ripping out each and every single intact page into loose pages.

How do I handle the loose pages?  I am not encouraging this to ANYONE, and it may be COPYRIGHT ILLEGAL.  I’ve converted my loose Cake Bible into PDF, and I swear over “The Bible” that this PDF is only in MY POSSESSION (and in the possession of the book author!).

I have a computer in my kitchen, where I read and bake directly from.  I’ve purchased more copies of Cake Bible (actual book), one for each location I find myself reading:  at my daytime job, at my second home in Hilo, and in my carry-on luggage!

I have PDF editing software, so I can write my own notes on it!  Unless I don’t wipe clean my computer screen every now and then, there is NO evidence of taste on the PDF =(

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 22 January 2008 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

i was going to write something like “with this take charge attitude and imagination you will go far” but quickly realized that his HAS to be hector, who has already demonstrated this!

Posted: 23 January 2008 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

With respect to Hector’s comment about the book being well used…J.K. Rowling who wrote the Harry Potter books once told a story about a book signing she did, I think it was early on…before the books really took off.  There was a mother encouraging her son to get on line to get his book signed…the child clearly didn’t want to…but the mom pushed him.  When they got up to the front of the line the mom said that he was embarrassed because of the condition of his book…The child handed her the book…and it was in terrible shape…the mom said “he just keeps re-reading it”.  J.K. Rowling said that she was so touched that anyone loved her book that much.

Posted: 04 February 2013 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

I just happened upon this old thread and will be three-ring binding mine this week.  It is now in many pages and I am afraid I will lose the most important.  I will still purchase a second copy (get one of the 49th printings) to keep on a shelf.  I do wish TCB were available on Kindle PC.  I like having both a Kindle copy and hard copy of RHC.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 04 February 2013 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

it’s going into the 50th printing in march with some revisions of the ingredient and equipment section as so many vendors have changed!

Posted: 04 February 2013 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

That is exciting ....I will pick it up after then Rose.  I have a friend who has two copies of TCB.  In conversation Saturday, I realized she did not know what she had.  I planned to have tea with her to open her eyes to its many treasures!!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.