My First Cooking Show Appearance a Success!!
Posted: 17 December 2009 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-09-10

Howdy all! (wave)

..........I wrote a couple of months or so ago about getting ready for the Metropolitan Cooking and Entertaining Show in DC. It was a great experience! A lot of work, but well worth it!
..........Since my assistant cancelled at the last minute, I had to rethink my strategy for the baking. I decided to bake everything I could at home that morning before the show. Didn’t have time to package my biscuits fancily, but I wrapped them with love, plastic wrap, and foil.
..........As soon as I got there I got lost trying to find my table. But once I started opening up pans of fresh angel biscuits, people found my table with no problem. I was at an intersection of foot traffic, and my lines on both days extended away from my table into other people’s territory. nearby vendors were surprised as I was at the four hour stretch where I had non-stop pople in a line that kept regenerating around the corner out of sight! Whew! Some people were probably in line to see what the line was about! I made sure that they left happy.
.........I made my original, Carrot raisin, deep hazelnut chocolate, corn cob, fruit punch, and my new star The Italian ( freshly grated parmesan and asiago, ball mozzarella diced small, roasted campari tomatoes, fresh oregano, and garlic powder added to my original dough, then brushed with extra virgin olive oil after they came out of the oven.)
.........I didn’t take photos from the show , but someone who has a food blog wrote an article about visiting my table and took a couple of photos. My business is Millhouse’s House of Rolls
http://lunchinginthedmv.blogspot.com/2009/11/metropolitain-cooking-show-recap-and.html

Note: the texture may look less open that it actually was on the biscuit closeup, because I had to split the biscuits I brought with a spatula into halves then quarters in order to have enough samples to make it near the end of each day.

........I have had lots of follow up feeedback as well, from people saying everything from “very good!” up to “phenomenal.” Which means that the high standards must stay high, so that when people share them with others, they get the same response.
........I meant to write sooner, but I have been working on my website, the one thing I didn’t have ready before the show. Check it out if you like:  http://www.millhouserolls.com

...........Ultimately, I have to thank my mom for teaching me the early version of my recipe, and for Rose Levy Beranbaum, who caught my culinary imagination as a young man almost 20 years ago, who grew up loving the glossary of the Cake Bible, and the possibilities created in my mind from reading it.
..........Thanks also for this forum, which is another avenue of stretching my abilities, and the opportunity to share a passion with such friendly, helpful people. smile smile smile

Signature 

Try something new, enjoy something familiar. There is a range of joys to explore through creating good food. Plus victories, small and large

Posted: 18 December 2009 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Congrats! I am hungry just reading your post. Sounds delicious.

Posted: 18 December 2009 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Congratulations! I wish I lived close enough to try your biscuits.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 18 December 2009 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-09-10

Thank you Paul and Barbara smile

Barbara,

By this time next year I will be selling and shipping the dry mixture for my dough. In the not too distant future, it may be near you!

Signature 

Try something new, enjoy something familiar. There is a range of joys to explore through creating good food. Plus victories, small and large

Posted: 19 December 2009 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations!  And good luck with your ventures.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 19 December 2009 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Congratulations James!!!!  Much success to you my friend!

smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com