I’m In Love!!!
Posted: 24 December 2009 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Yesterday I made Rose’s Chocolate Neoclassic Buttercream and I fell in love with it.  The texture was perfect and the taste was out of this world.  It was a dream to ice the cake with.  My husband is from european descent and he couldn’t believe the taste of it. Quote ” It is not too sweet and has a nice hint of chocolate flavour, not overpowering )  I think this will be my go to chocolate buttercream from now on.  Such a dream to make to with the corn syrup.  ( Although I accidently burnt one of my fingertips on the syrup, will have to be more careful next time.)  Thank-you so much Rose for developing and perfecting this buttercream.  I have been searching since I began baking for the perfect chocolate buttercream, and now I have found it!!!  I didn’t think that my kids would like it because it is not overly sweet but they did.  As my 13 year old son said and I quote “this is heaven in a bowl”.  I made the deep passion chocolate cake with a light whipped ganache filling and It paired excellent with the neoclassic buttercream.  I was going to make mini cheesecakes and mini carrot cakes for Christmas but my mother-in-law asked me to make my sister-in laws birthday cake for Christmas.  ( Her birthday is on Christmas Day ) So that threw my ideas out the window.  But I think she will be pleasantly surprised with her cake.  Will post pictures soon.

Posted: 24 December 2009 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations on discovering Rose’s fabulous buttercreams- the others are all just as good!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 19 January 2010 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-12-16

Wow maybe i really should try one then. Have been putting it off as it makes cakes less ” portable” and i seem to be always transporting cakes here and there- but now i’m inspired to try!

Posted: 19 January 2010 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza,
I’ve tried the Chocolate Egg-White Buttercream and it was heavenly. Haven’t tried the Neoclassic. Now I’d have to after hearing your report, smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 January 2010 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

I would like to try the chocolate egg white buttercream as well.  I haven’t tried Rose’s creamy dreamy white chocolate buttercream yet, but it looks so good.  So many to choose from!!

Posted: 19 January 2010 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

So many buttercreams, so little time!
I don’t remember if we can do other flavors for the Neoclassic buttercream. Have you tried different flavors for buttercream? I remembered in The Cake Bible she tells how you can add her strawberries/raspberries conserve. I heard this is very good but I haven’t tried them.

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2010 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

No, I haven’t tried any other flavours but chocolate.  It seems everyone that I make a cake for asks for chocolate buttercream icing, nothing else!  Well my 40th birthday is in May this year and I am going to make my own birthday cake.  It will not be chocolate!!! (Not that I don’t love chocolate)  But I want to try something different, something extravagant!!! - maybe lemon or coconut.  But I suppose I will make a small chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream icing for those members of my family who won’t eat anything but a chocolate cake.  I call them culinary cowards smile

Posted: 19 January 2010 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza - you should try either the Heavenly Seduction Coconut Cake or Woody’s Lemon Luxury Layer Cake from RHC. I made both last year for a birthday (2 weeks in a row). They were both awesome!

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2010 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Liza, I love the taste of the Golden Dream Cake….but the coconut I have not tried, but plan to do soon.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 20 January 2010 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Well my birthday isn’t until the end of May, but I would like to pick what cake I would like to make so I have plenty of time to prepare.  In fact I would like to make Woody’s lemon cake and Roses coconut cake.  It is my 40th birthday, so I think I am allowed to have two cakes.  Besides, I have wanted an excuse to make both of them for a while. :0

Posted: 21 January 2010 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza - you should totally make both cakes! Go for it and let us know how it turns out!

Signature 

Posted: 21 January 2010 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Jenn.  I noticed in RHC that Rose has 2 coconut inspired cakes to choose from,  one with whipped cream topping and the other with a coconut flavoured buttercream.  I haven’t had any experience with either one of these cakes.  I am wondering which one I should make.  I am leaning towards the one with the coconut flavoured buttercream since I will have 2 cakes they might not all get eaten in one day.  I think that the one with the whipped cream topping won’t hold up as well for a few days.  I am hoping that I can make the buttercreams for both cakes in advance and freeze them until I need them.

Posted: 21 January 2010 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza - I’ve made the one with the coconut buttercream and I can tell you it’s so good. The birthday boy loved it and several guests said that it’s the best cake that I’ve made so far. I haven’t made a lot of cakes but that was a nice compliment to hear. Oh and it does hold for the next couple of days refrigerated. (boy - I really sound like a telemarketer don’t I? smile).

Signature 

Posted: 21 January 2010 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Ha Ha Ha!!! No you don’t sound like a telemarketer.  This is what I would like to hear.  I always am nervous about trying a new recipe that nobody has made before.  But thankfully all of the recipes I have tried so far from Rose’s books have tasted wonderful.  And it it great to hear the successes from other members.  It just boosts my confidence in trying a new recipe.  Up until a couple of years ago I always baked my cakes from a box ( I know, I know ) But since I got the Cake Bible and Rose’s Heavenly Cakes,  I will never go back to a mix.  Same with the Buttercream recipes.  Never will I make an icing with icing sugar and shortening again.  Like I said at the beginning of my post,  I am in love with the buttercream recipes in these books.

Posted: 21 January 2010 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Liza! I’m the same way, it’s always good to hear from others about the recipes that they’ve tried. Though for me, by now, since I’ve made quite a bit of Rose’s recipes, I am more courageous of trying.

That’s a huge change that you did from baking with cake mixes to Rose’s recipes. Her recipes are awesome but some of them do take some time. I think it’s really great that you’re baking now. I’ve only been baking for a couple of years now. Before this I have never baked anything, so I totally understand where you’re coming from. Now I’m so in love with Rose and her recipes - I have all the 3 bibles and RHC.

Signature