2 of 3
Do you find your food processor useful?
Posted: 01 January 2010 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Our food processor also gets a lot of use. If you’re not sure you want one, you could try picking up a used one cheap (which is how we got our first one).

Making pie dough (although I always mix the liquid in by hand), making pesto (we grow our own basil), hummus, superfine sugar, grinding nuts fine, “grated” parmesan (we don’t use the grating disk, just grind it with the regular blade), “grated” mozzarella for pizza topping (again, ground with regular blade), grated carrots for carrot cake (here I use the grater disc)...

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 08 January 2010 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-01-04

Does anyone have a Viking FP? Wondered how it performed…
Also - being a newbie… I read you make superfine sugar…. of course!  Why am I buying it? grin

Posted: 11 January 2010 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-01-05

I use mine every time! I use it specially for something call sofrito which is a mixture of herbs that brings aroma and taste to my plates. I also use my cuisinart to do everything such as salsa, cookies, and a lot more. My suggestion is for you to get one! now that we are in the world of the cakes, cookies and pastries a cuisinart is the ultimate equipment in your kitchen as well as the mixer and the scale.

Good baking! Have a lot of fun!

Posted: 22 January 2010 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

I have the 14 cup Cuisnart. I. Cannot. Live. Without. This. Machine. Seriously. Right now I?m suffering from tendonitis of the rotator cuff (swimmer?s shoulder), and it makes my professional and personal life so much more easier. I make pie dough, pizza dough, shortbread, scones, biscuits, grind nuts, and process all manner of veggies in my food processor. I even use it to make salad dressings, pesto, and homemade mayo (even Julia Child said owning a food processor was worth it just because making mayo based dressings is so much easier). I?ve even ground my own meat in the the thing for burgers, and have made pates in it.

If you own only one cooking appliance in your kitchen, it must be a food processor. It makes cooking much, much easier (and more fun!).

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 March 2010 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25

I have had a large Cuisinart for a number of years and I love it, it’s great for everything from grating chocolate to making nut flours or superfine sugars, and it?s great for mixing citrus zest evenly with the sugar for orange, lemon, or lime pound cakes (and if reduces granule size as a bonus when using the creaming method for a pound cake).  The only thing I don’t like about it is that for what it does, there is a lot of clean-up involved, so I don’t do anything with it that I can quickly do with some manual tool or mandolin.  There are a few things that cut down prep time considerably so much so that I don’t think I could easily do without it, so if you’re on the fence, I’d suggest you get one at your next reward opportunity (birthday, anniversary, Happy Tuesday, etc.).  I think it’s hard to imagine how much it will improve your productivity until you have had one a few weeks, even if you only use it for baking.

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 03 May 2010 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Thanks everyone for your good advice. One French made Magimix food processor powered with a 1000W French induction motor arrived today.  After heaving this package onto the kitchen counter I am beginning to understand why bakers have such strong biceps!

Magimix - proudly French - have been producing these for some 20 years and have resisted the temptation to ship the factory to China. Hopefully I won’t burn out the motor in the first 3 months. It is somewhat smaller in capacity (3 litres liquid - 1.4 kilograms of shortcrust pastry or 1kg of bread dough) than the leading US brand Cuisinart - which is not available here.

So standby you food processor owners I am going to need some help with this.

Image Attachments
food processor.jpg

Posted: 03 May 2010 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  774
Joined  2007-11-15

I have had my Magimix for well over 20 years, Paul, and I use it practically every day for something, from chopping, liquidising or making pastry and I wouldn’t like to be without it. Mine is one of the first models on sale here in the UK, but it does everything I need it to do.  I did contemplate updating it but then I found a company selling spare parts via the web and I ordered a new blade and it is working as well as ever!  I would advise you to keep it on your worktop, you will more inclined to use it and as you say, they are too heavy to be moving around.  Best of luck with it! grin

Posted: 03 May 2010 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Congrats on your new toy, Paul! I hope you’ll let us see what you’re making with it!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 May 2010 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Thanks Jeannette and Silke. I bought this really for pastry dough but am impressed what else it can do. Just ordered the juice extractor attachment. The processor comes with a citrus squeezer.

Jeannette have you ever used this for bread dough?

Posted: 04 May 2010 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

I’ve used my cuisinart for bread dough, but I wasn’t very lucky. My food processor is in the Tahoe cabin, and I have more success with pretty wet bread doughs. The few times I tried it it ended in disaster with dough everywhere! I think firmer higher gluten doughs will work better. I think you should try one for this months bake-off!

Love it for pastry dough, cookie doughs, and for shredding and chopping.

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2010 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  774
Joined  2007-11-15

Paul, my Magimix came with a dough hook but I have never used it for making bread although I do make All my own bread!  I use my Panasonic bread maker for day to day sandwich loaves but I also make sourdough which is fast becoming my favourite!  For making sourdough I sometimes start it off in my Kenwood Chef mixer but mostly I knead by hand because I like to feel the consistency of the dough in my hands.  I use my Magimix for lots of jobs as Silke does, Chopping, slicing, grating and it is excellent for pastry.  Also purees and anything that you would use a blender for.  All in all a very versatile appliance which i wouldn’t like to be without!

Posted: 04 May 2010 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Yes, I forgot: Hummus, other bean dips, tapenade…

Signature 

Posted: 05 May 2010 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Silke - I still have a lot to learn about baking. Learning so much from you all!

Posted: 09 June 2010 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I recently got a KitchenAid food processor. I cannot believe I have lived without it for so long. I use it almost every day

Posted: 10 June 2010 03:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

So glad you like it. I cannot believe how fast one can prepare food.

Anyone who has a family MUST have one.

I cook only for 2 but am now making far larger quantities and freezing. It is such a time saver. I am using it for cutting, grating and pastry.

Have you tried it for dough or anything else? I hear a stand mixer is still preferable for dough or do bakers prefer to use the appliance they have had for years??

Also I see most dough recipes recommend using the metal blade - I wonder why the supplied plastic dough paddle is not recommended?

I am so impressed with mine that I have just bought the juice extractor attachment and the Julienne disk which are expensive extras with this brand. But I could not resist!

Is anyone using a dishwasher with theirs?? My handbook says plastic will discolor over time??

2 of 3