Multiplying base syrup recipe
Posted: 29 December 2009 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-12-29

I have a question about how to multiply the base syrup recipe. I just can’t quite make sense of the directions. I searched the forum, but didn’t find the answer. I’m new here though, so I probably just didn’t search the right place. Anyway, hopefully someone can answer my question.

The base recipe is on page 505 of TCB. The last sentence in the paragraph says:
If multiplying this base for a larger quantity, add water to equal the appropriate amount.

I need 3 cups of syrup and the base makes 1. Would the recipe then be
6 T of sugar
3 C water
3 T liqueur?

Posted: 29 December 2009 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

For 3 cups, multiply everything in the ingredient list by 3:
18 tablespoons sugar
2 liquid cups water
9 tablespoons liqueur of your choice

Once you’re done, have a look at your measuring cup. The syrup may have evaporated slightly. In that case, add a little water until you have 3 cups syrup.

Making the 1 cup base formula, you may lose a little through evaporation and have to add water until you have 1 cup syrup.

Make sense?

Posted: 29 December 2009 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-12-29

That makes complete sense. Thank you so much!

Posted: 01 January 2010 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  600
Joined  2007-11-27

We make simple syrup every other week - just equal weight of sugar and water, brought to a full boil.  It will keep for quite a long time refrigerated as long as the sugar and water were equal to start.  I found if I were sloppy when weighing and had more of one than the other, it would spoil much faster. (If it is spoiled, you will see spots or cloudy patches in it)

When I am using it for a cake that needs a flavored syrup, I measure out the s syrup and add the liqueur or juice (lemon, orange, passion, etc) and then add water.  So if I want 2 cups of syrup, I measure one cup of the simple syrup, then add some amount of flavoring and then top it off with water to get to 2 cups.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 01 January 2010 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Jeanne, that’s so interesting about how only the correctly balanced syrup keeps well!  Thanks for sharing, I love learning things from you.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour