Using frozen egg yolks for neoclassic buttercream
Posted: 29 December 2009 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I have used frozen egg whites to make mousseline buttercream with great results.  I am just curious if I can use frozen egg yolks to make neoclassic buttercream and decreasing the amount of sugar I used when freezing the yolks in the sugar/corn syrup mixture.  I would just like to separate a whole bunch of eggs I have and use them for mousseline and neoclassic buttercream in the future.

Posted: 29 December 2009 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose’s tips for freezing yolks are to add 1/2 tsp sugar per yolk, stirred in well before freezing.  And yes, you would back the sugar out of the bc, hopefully that small amount won’t have a noticeable effect on the finished buttercream.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 29 December 2009 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Jule,  I am going to try this sometime this week.  ( when I don’t need the buttercream for any particular reason at the moment)  If it works out alright I will freeze it for a future cake.

Posted: 30 December 2009 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

My guess is that it will work just fine.  But for sure I know it will work fine on the silk meringue bc, where yolks are cooked with sugar into creme anglaise from which decreasing the sugar minus what is frozen doesn’t contribute to the stability of the final bc that comes from the hot syrup on this case on the italian meringue.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 09 January 2010 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25
Liza - 30 December 2009 12:52 AM

I have used frozen egg whites to make mousseline buttercream with great results.  I am just curious if I can use frozen egg yolks to make neoclassic buttercream and decreasing the amount of sugar I used when freezing the yolks in the sugar/corn syrup mixture.  I would just like to separate a whole bunch of eggs I have and use them for mousseline and neoclassic buttercream in the future.

I have done this with great results for the last several years.  Usually I end up needing them for lemon curd or custard or somthing similar, and was fortunate enough after making a ton of royal icing for gingerbreadmen and Christmas cookies to have several containers of 7 yolks (I usually make lemon curd in batches that require factors of 7 yolks) to make curd from for a last day (almost last minute, but there is no such thing as quick lemon curd or the white choclate buttercream) Lemon-White chocolate Luxury cake w/ candied lemon zest for a birthday cake.  I NEVER throw away yolks or whites anymore.  I just weigh the yolks and add 10% granulated sugar to the container, it makes the math easy.

Now if I can just find something to use the left over lemon syrup from candying the lemon zest…  ...  I DID just make a plain angel food cake tonight…  hmmm…  cheese

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato