1 of 2
Help finding a recipe
Posted: 02 January 2010 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-01-16

I finally purchased Coconut Essence and now I can’t find which recipe of Rose’s uses it.  Can anyone please help?
Thanks

Posted: 03 January 2010 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Heavenly Coconut Seduction Cake in RHC calls for coconut extract. Is this what you are thinking of?

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 03 January 2010 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-16

No, but thanks, it was definitely coconut essence.

Posted: 03 January 2010 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-24

Now I am intrigued. When you find the recipe, please post the name here.

Signature 

Posted: 03 January 2010 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-16

And it was expensive too and I sent to Kaluystans for it too….along with coconut cream powder.
Grrrrrrrrr…..my memory is slipping.

Posted: 03 January 2010 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-24

I’ve done the exact same thing—I order something special, and then I can’t remember why I wanted it. Have you made the Coconut Seduction Cake? It is wonderful.

Signature 

Posted: 03 January 2010 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

I just used Rose’s blog search box on the term “coconut essence”. That turns up both forum and blog posts that are relevant. There’s a forum thread about using the essence with the Cordon Rose Banana cake. Also a discussion of the essence in a blog post about Woody, where Rose specifically mentions Kaluystans. If those weren’t the triggers for your ordering the essence, at least they’ll give you some good ideas for how to use it. Enjoy! smile

Posted: 03 January 2010 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-16

Thanks, I had already done those, but it is not triggering anything.

Posted: 03 January 2010 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

The only recipe that uses coconut cream powder is the Coconut Seduction Cake, so perhaps it was that? 

My understanding is that the difference between essence and extract is the alcohol content.  Extract must be 35% alcohol, whereas essence is lower in alcohol.  Both are concentrated flavorings.  There may be differences in strength between them, but then there are also differences in strength and quality of flavor between different brands of extract.

Good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 03 January 2010 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

I just made the Southern (Manhattan) Coconut Cake from RHC. Is that the recipe you were thinking of?

Posted: 03 January 2010 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Coconut Cheesecake p 250-1 RHC? Coconut variation of Crisp Meringue Kisses p 428 RHC? Pina Colada Cake (Lagniappe) p 352 TCB? Please do let us know if you remember which recipe triggered your purchase!

Posted: 20 January 2010 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07
angelsmom - 03 January 2010 04:30 AM

And it was expensive too and I sent to Kaluystans for it too….along with coconut cream powder.
Grrrrrrrrr…..my memory is slipping.

if you got them both for the same recipe maybe its the heavenly coconut seduction cake b/c it uses powdered cream coconut.  Many coconut cake recipes use coconut essence instead of extracts but Rose’s recipes call for extract.

Posted: 17 June 2010 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

i am baking the coconut cheesecake from RHC and it calls for coconut essence. I, however, am in the same boat with you because I came across the coconut powder and all those expensive coconut flakes, etc. in the pantry and have no idea what the recipe was that caused me to send to K for them. lol.

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 June 2010 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

As long as we are on the coconut question…I have been unable to locate either CocoRibe or cream of coconut. I see something called “CocoReal” in the mixer section of the supermarket, but not sure whether that’s the same thing as CocoRibe. As for cream of coconut, I’ve seen nothing resembling it. Does it have to be special
ordered? Some people have told me that it is the thick part from a can of coconut milk, but that doesn’t seem right as the book says it must be processed to break up the solids… The Heavenly Bakers are doing the coconut seduction soon, so I’ve been looking forward to reading what they use for cream of coconut!

Posted: 17 June 2010 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

My grocery store keeps the cream of coconut with the drink mixers, because it’s used with Pina Coladas or something.  It’s in smallish cans—bigger than a V8, smaller than a soda.

Posted: 17 June 2010 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21
Loopy - 17 June 2010 02:08 PM

As long as we are on the coconut question…I have been unable to locate either CocoRibe or cream of coconut. I see something called “CocoReal” in the mixer section of the supermarket, but not sure whether that’s the same thing as CocoRibe. As for cream of coconut, I’ve seen nothing resembling it. Does it have to be special
ordered? Some people have told me that it is the thick part from a can of coconut milk, but that doesn’t seem right as the book says it must be processed to break up the solids… The Heavenly Bakers are doing the coconut seduction soon, so I’ve been looking forward to reading what they use for cream of coconut!

Yes, like Anne, I have found Cream of Coconut in liquor stores, but also found it when I ordered coconut powder from Kalustyan’s, as well as shredded coconut fine/unsweetened. Coconut powder is called for in Crisp Meringue Kisses, as well as Heavenly Coconut Seduction Cake (p. 20 RHC) and Coconut Whipped Cream Frosting (p.22) The Heavenly Bakers are making the Coconut Cheesecake with Coconut Cookie Crust from RHC (p. 250-251) this week and that recipe calls for Cream of Coconut. The kind I use is called Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut in blue can.( Not coconut milk). In the German chocolate cake icing (p. 256-257 HCB) she calls for Baker’s Flaked Coconut Sweetened, also used in Coconut Cheesecake crust and topping. This is different, obviously. Hope this helps.

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

1 of 2