Freezing Egg Yolks
Posted: 04 January 2010 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I just have a couple of questions about freezing egg yolks. 

1.  How long can they be frozen?  I just froze some egg yolks in individual containers with 1/2 teaspoon per egg yolk.  They are in my deep freezer ( -20 degrees)

2.  I plan to use them for Neoclassic buttercream,  but I am wondering if you can use them for other recipes such as lemon curd?

Posted: 04 January 2010 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

I have definitely used frozen yolks for lemon curd and sponge-type cakes, works well.  I don’t know how long they last, though, they never last very long at all in my kitchen!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 04 January 2010 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

I think I am going to have to start baking for just because reasons!!!  I don’t think anyone will complain here, especially the kids.

Posted: 05 January 2010 03:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Info I have from a government publication says 9 months for egg yolks.

Posted: 05 January 2010 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you so much.

Posted: 23 September 2011 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

What are we supposed to add to the yolks? I can’t remember. I’d like to make a cake ahead of time that uses 8 egg whites, and then freeze the 8 yolks to be used to make a vanilla pudding just before a dinner. Also, how far in advance do I thaw the yolks?

Alternatively, if I want to keep the yolks in the fridge for a few days instead of freezing them, how would I do that? I might bake on Saturday or Sunday, then use the yolks on Wednesday. What’s the best way to go with this?

Thanks, Beth

Posted: 23 September 2011 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose recommends adding 1/2 tsp sugar for each yolk before freezing.  Because I’ve had problems freezing yolks in the past, I usually increase that a little and sitr it in very well before freezing.  I haven’t tried to keep yolks in the fridge for that many days, I would probably freeze them.  But you could check with either the Egg Board or the USDA to see if there are any guidelines.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 23 September 2011 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

Thanks. Recipe advice also needed. My original intention was to make an almond cake (Hazan), it’s mainly egg whites, ground almonds, sugar, lemon zest. I used to make it quite frequently. Then, when I realized it used 8 egg whites, I thought, let’s find something with 8 yolks. I found a recipe for vanilla custard that uses 8 yolks. Then I looked for something that might combine the two. I saw a trifle recipe that called for cake (not almond) and custard, that also used bananas and raspberry puree. Any suggestions for combining the almond cake and the custard? I don’t have a lot of time, so I want it to be fairly simple. I’m afraid I could end up with a mess. I also thought about serving a slice of cake, some custard on the plate, and then drizzling with raspberry puree. Maybe that is the way to go. Thing is, a lot of my guests are quite overweight, so I though it might be handy to have separate components, and they can choose what they want. That’s why I thought of the almond cake to begin with, because it’s light.

About the frozen yolks: I assume I subtract the amount of sugar I mix into the egg yolks from the sugar used in the recipe.