advice for tiramisu cake?
Posted: 27 January 2008 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-12-12

Hi,

I would like to make a tiramisu cake, and I was wondering if anyone might have some advice for me.  I would like to make a cake that would take the place of store-bought lady fingers.  I usually love to experiment and make several different recipes to see what I like the best, but I really don’t have much “experimenting” time and would love to make a delicous cake on the first try, so any advice and recipes would really be appreciated!  Thanks so much!

Posted: 27 January 2008 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Nick Malgieri likes to use Pan di Spagna for Tiramisu—it’s the Italian version of sponge cake. There’s a recipe for Tiramisu in his “Great Italian Desserts” and also in his “Perfect Cakes.” I haven’t made this recipe myself—yet!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 27 January 2008 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I believe Rose has a recipe in Rose’s Melting Pot.  I think it uses the biscuit de savoie from the cake bible.  I don’t have it right in front of me, so maybe someone could confirm this.

Posted: 28 January 2008 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I was thinking something along those lines too Matthew, but I just looked and see that Rose’s recipe from The Melting Pot calls for Savoiardi (Italian ladyfingers).  She notes: Homemade ladyfingers can be used if desired, but are too fragile to dip and should instead be brushed with espresso syrup.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 January 2008 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

CAKEMUNCHKIN:
  Good afternoon. If I have one recipe for “TIRAMISU” dessert I must have 20 or 30 of them, mostly built around a cake.
I have looked for that folder but I am not able to locate it. However most of the info that I have came from this website a few years ago. GO TO:

http://italianfood.about.com

Once there print out a search for tiramisu recipes. Hopefully when you complete this cake you will report back & let us know what you have learned. I made this dessert about 7 years ago twice & I made the mascapone cheese myself…but I cannot remember how it turned out.
Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID. cool hmm

Posted: 31 January 2008 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

I like to use the yellow butter cake and soak it with a coffee syrup (as for Opera Cake), then make a dam of buttercream around the perimeter of the cake, and fill with the mascarpone filling.  I also like to guild the lily by adding some shaved chocolate to the mascarpone filling.  You can make this a two cake layer/one filling layer or a three cake layer, two filling layer dessert.  How to finish the top is up to you - you could decoratively pipe any left over filling on the top; smooth the remaining buttercream on the sides and make a chocolate lattice (as in the Strawberry Maria from the Cake Bible).  Sift a little cocoa on the top and it’s ready!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

‹‹ tasty cakes      Shortening for FOndant ››