Green and Blacks White Chocolate
Posted: 04 January 2010 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I am on a hunt for this infamous great tasting white chocolate here in southern Ontario.  I would like to stock up and freeze it.  But alas…I can’t seem to find it.  I am hoping that some of the Canadian members could help me out.  I live in the Niagara Region and I really do not want to drive all the way to Toronto to buy it.  Maybe there is a canadian website that sells it in bulk?  I find it very frustrating that some of the ingredients that Rose recommends are so hard to find in Canada.

Posted: 04 January 2010 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Try chocosphere.com in Oregon and see if they ship to Canada.  They are good people and ship to Hawaii.

Let’s be truthfull here, RHC has a handful of cakes using specialty ingredients, but the majority of cakes use common ingredients!  Texture and flavor of RHC is #1.  Texture and flavor of other popular and perhaps easier to accomplish cake cooks is #2.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 04 January 2010 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Lisa, You don’t NEED to use Green and Blacks white chocolate for Rose’s recipes.  I live in the UK and it’s readily available here but I never buy it!  G&Bs; does contain vanilla bean but you can add this to the ingredients yourself.  Just be sure to get a good quality white chocolate and you will have success.

Posted: 04 January 2010 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Just to clarify.  I realize that most of Rose’s recipes are based on ingredients that are readily available to me.  Which is great.  But when she recommends an ingredient because of it’s wonderful flavour or texture I would like to use it too.  I would love to use American Spoon raspberry or strawberry butters in my buttercream, but they are only in the States.  I could order on-line or try to find a substitute here in Ontario.

On a happy note….

Last night after work I ran into my local grocery store (Sobey’s)  and guess what I found?  Lyles Golden Syrup!!!  I picked up 6 jars.

And today,  I was out doing some running around and just thought I would run into Goodness Me Health Food Store.  THEY HAVE GREEN AND BLACKS WHITE CHOCOLATE!!  They were sold out of the larger bars until Friday but they did have a little snack bar, which I had to get.  Well, I am not a huge fan of white chocolate but this was divine.  I will definitely be going back on Friday to stock up.

Posted: 04 January 2010 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07

Liza,

I am happy you were able to find a source for the G&B white chocolate. It is truly lovely.

For those in the States. I went to Whole Foods where I normally get the G&B WC. They have been out for a while so I spoke to the grocer who said the distributor is sold out. It is truly difficult to get this WC anywhere. Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble getting the G&B WC in the states. I know we can always order on line, but it is more convenient to jump in a car and get it whenerver you need it. If anyone is in Los Angeles and knows of a store that keeps a large stock of G& B WC please share. Thanks.

~Susan

Posted: 04 January 2010 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Here in MA, my local health food coop had a sale on all G&B bars last month, including the white.  I find it less sweet than other brands and with a more pronounced and rounded vanilla tasted from the beans.  Needless to say, I was very happy to stock up!

Incidentally, G&B’s 72% with extra cocoa butter large (150g) bars are becoming my go-to chocolate for ganache.  I just reduce the quantity of chocolate and add some sugar to the cream to make it equivalent to the 55-60% chocolate called for.  I used to use Callebaut bulk, but it never made perfectly smooth ganache.  With the G&B, it is perfect every time.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up