2 of 2
White gold passion genoise
Posted: 11 February 2010 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2009-05-04
Carolita - 11 February 2010 02:24 PM

Idalina, you’re already doing beautiful work! But I understand that it’s more difficult for you not being able to get exactly the ingredients Rose recommends. That happens to me, too, even though Canada is right next door to the United States! smile

Did you see my reply to your other message thread titled “Flat Cakes, why?” with details on a substitute for bleached flour? It’s called “Kate flour” after the woman who devised a way of microwaving flour to give it baking properties very similar to US bleached cake flour. This has been a blessing to many Rose fans who live outside the US.

Yes i did read that…its interesting but i not sure l can pull through it…does that make a difference between a flat cake and a higher cake?

Signature 

tongue rolleye

Posted: 11 February 2010 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Bleaching or heat treatment “roughens up” the surfaces of the flour particles so that they are able to hold onto the butter in the cake better. If the butter separates out as the cake bakes, yes, that can make a heavier cake. Or you can end up with a cake that has a thin layer that is very gooey and dense.

I remember than one of the bakers from England says she gets pretty good results with a mixture of regular flour and cornstarch—I hope she will weigh in on this, too.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 20 February 2010 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2009-05-04

grin Thank you to everyone ....really mean that ...from my heart…

I don’t where the heck to go but, last week everyone just helped me right down to the T! My parents cake turned out good. Although l do have much to learn ...for me it was an achievement! Some offered to tell me of sites that l can order certain things that l have no where around here…if anyone can help l would appreciate it…

Cake thermometer, cake strips, syrup corn and maple , root-beer, stuff that Rose uses in her books that even if you live abroad you would have to go to a specialty store.

Signature 

tongue rolleye

2 of 2