1 of 2
Spice Cake with Peanut Buttercream
Posted: 06 January 2010 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2009-05-04

Wonderful cake and super easy to make…even for me!  I did note that the cake went down a bit after l took it out of the oven.  My parents really loved the cake ...

Happy Baking

Review: The cake is best the second day as the flavors blend together a lot more…my son that thought it was OK…said the next day it was wonderful….by the way the second day it was gone!

When l got this book l thought to myself…boy am l going to get fat…but hey,,the cakes are not long around enough for you to eat seconds!lololol

Image Attachments
Spice cake with peanut butter frosting.jpg
 Signature 

tongue rolleye

Posted: 13 January 2010 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

This one is on my to do list, I’m curious about the combination.

Posted: 13 January 2010 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Your cake looks delicious!  Thanks so much for the tasting notes, I like most things better the second day, too.  What did you use to drizzle over the cake?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 16 January 2010 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-05-04

grin Well l definatly recomend eating it the next day or at least from morninng to nignt.  The flavores mix alot better. The next time l think l will add some jamaican peper for an extra splash of taste….let me know what you think of the cake.

See you soon Lina

Signature 

%-P

Posted: 16 January 2010 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-05-04

Dear friend

I used choclolte syrup to drizle ...that parte didnt turn out as well but….the cake went in a blast, thats for sure. Please let me know of any recipes that you try…see you soon and happy baking!

Lina

Signature 

tongue rolleye

Posted: 16 January 2010 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

Like you, I have found,  and I know others have too, that the flavours of most of the cakes I have made from RHC seem to be better the second day after making.  but this goes for lots of things , I always find a casserole tastes better the second day!  It must be because ingredients have time to meld together and this enhances the flavour.  The banana cake with cream cheese frosting is especially good the second day and even the next day too, if it lasts that long for you!  Do try it, I have made it several times and will make it again, I’m sure. tongue wink

Posted: 17 January 2010 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2009-11-23

I second you in saying that cakes usually taste better the second day. I made the banana cake several times too, I really love it, and it’s also delicious on its own, without the frosting!!!

Posted: 18 January 2010 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-05-04

well the other day l was looking at ...dont ask where ....someone that commented on a cake l made and l somehow got into their recipes…(does that make sence?) i found a nice chicken casserole that l have been dying to make. My son now says all we eat are cakes in this house…as for me l can skip the food and go right to deserte!!!! If anyone knows a recipe or knows the one lm talking about please send it in. 

Thanks friends and HAPPY BAKING!

Signature 

tongue rolleye

Posted: 20 January 2010 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2007-11-15

I made this one a while back - wasn’t really that thrilled with the flavor combination.  Each of the components were fine individually, but combining a spice cake with a peanut butter frosting was a little unusual for me.

http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2009/06/recipe-review-spice-cake-with-peanut.html

Image Attachments
P1050442 (Medium).jpg
 Signature 

Come visit me at

My blog:  http://butteryum.org

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum

Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 20 January 2010 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-05-04

Woweeeee! what a nice cake! l thaught the cake was ok too, but as l said the second day the flavors blended and l thaught it tasted alot better and l will add jamaican pepper next time…

Nice blog and good tips!  keep up the good work

Idalina

Signature 

tongue rolleye

Posted: 20 January 2010 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

Patricia, what would you prefer to pair this cake with?

Posted: 20 January 2010 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-05-04

cool smile well for my son the cake is just great the way it is…l guess for me ld cut down a bit on the peanut butter or boost up the cheese a little.

cheese

Signature 

tongue rolleye

Posted: 13 July 2010 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-07-13

i have a question about the frosting- it has a subtle bitter taste/tone to it.  did anyone else use another peanut butter other than Jif?
other than that, i love this cake.

Posted: 14 July 2010 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24
iguana - 06 January 2010 07:00 PM

Wonderful cake and super easy to make…even for me!  I did note that the cake went down a bit after l took it out of the oven.  My parents really loved the cake ...

Happy Baking

Review: The cake is best the second day as the flavors blend together a lot more…my son that thought it was OK…said the next day it was wonderful….by the way the second day it was gone!

When l got this book l thought to myself…boy am l going to get fat…but hey,,the cakes are not long around enough for you to eat seconds!lololol

Looks good to me.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 14 July 2010 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

I have been wanting to make this frosting but not at all interested in pairing it with spice cake.  I would be interested in hearing of other combinations.  I am thinking of pairing it with chocolate… the question is which chocolate cake.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 14 July 2010 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Iggy & Patricia—beautiful cakes, both.  I’m going to have to try that swirl gag, Patricia!  Really pretty!

I have been wanting to make this frosting

In addition to chocolate, it would probably be awesome on a banana cake or on the white velvet cake!

I want to join the “better the next day club,” as I couldn’t agree more.  They get better and better—even the 4th day after baking is super fabulous.  I never judge a cake the day of baking, becuase I know whatever it is, it will be even better!!

Re Jif:  I find it very bitter with little peanut taste.  I’ve found that Arrowhead Mills natural organic is great, and once you stir it, it won’t separate again.  It’s very creamy and not grainy linke some naturals.  Its only ingredient is roasted peanuts, so I usually add a little extra salt to the recipe.

1 of 2