Posted: 06 January 2010 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-09-09

I need some help/opinion

I have 2 8 inch 1 1/2inch tall round cake pans
1 9 inch 2 1/2 inch tall springform pan
1 9 inch 3 inch tall loose bottom pan

Glancing through both Rose’s cake books, I realized many of the Genoise cakes use 2 9 inch 1/2 inch tall pans

>_<
now since I don’t have that….what would be the next best thing?

I know at the beginning of her cake bible book it states that cake pans should always be at least half full and that if the pan is not high enough then the structure will run the risk of collapsing

so would it be safer to go with baking one cake using either the springform pan or the loose bottom pan rather then going smaller to baking in 2 8 inch pans? And use those strips to cover the side and cook for longer?

Or is going smaller pan ok because it’s not too much volume that we’re loosing?

volume of the 9 in, 1.5 in tall pan =95.3775
volume of the 8 in, 1.5 in tall pan = 75.36

...ok that’s quite a bit of volume
And I really don’t want to have to adjust recipe to make it one less egg or something…it’s a lot of work to change recipe size and sometimes it doesn’t work very well when i do it

any words of wisdom? I would really like to be able to try her cakes that require the 2 9inch 1.5 in tall pans

thanks a lot!!

Posted: 07 January 2010 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2007-11-17

I don’t have the book open right now, but if memory serves me right, most of her genoise actually call for a 9” x 2” or a 9” springform pan. A genoise with four eggs will work in a 9” springform. You don’t need the baking strips for genoise.  They bake flat naturally (well, they hump a little and then flatten when out of the oven).

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 07 January 2010 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

the classique genoise and one of the other genoise was springform pans
the other ones there the 2 9inch 1.5 inch tall pans

In her new book…the chocolate raspberry genoise was 2 9inch 1.5 inch tall pans :(
I really wanted to try that one for either my mom’s bday or valentines day

I was just wondering about the baking strips because if the recipe calls for 2 pans…but i only have 1…then it’s double the volume in 1 pan…
i was wondering if i should use the baking strips to help the cooking time since it is not double the volume

thanks

Posted: 07 January 2010 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-17

The recipe for moist chocolate raspberry genoise on p. 187 calls for 2 9” x 2” pans (not 9” x 1.5”).  From your selection of pans, I would use the 9 x 2.5 pan but make two batches (divide the recipe in half for each batch).

Signature 

Come visit my blog

Posted: 07 January 2010 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Julius - 07 January 2010 02:24 PM

The recipe for moist chocolate raspberry genoise on p. 187 calls for 2 9” x 2” pans (not 9” x 1.5”).  From your selection of pans, I would use the 9 x 2.5 pan but make two batches (divide the recipe in half for each batch).

oo thanks
you’re right

sigh…but so much work to do it in 2 batches >_<
probably can’t use the loose bottom pan as the second 9 inch pan since that one is 3 inch tall…
damn…so close but so far

Posted: 07 January 2010 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-17

You could also use the 9 x 3 pan for the second layer. I’ve done that in the past and don’t remember anything too bad happening.

Signature 

Come visit my blog

Posted: 07 January 2010 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

thanks!!!
I’ll run some test to see what happens smile
I’ll do one run where I bake the cake in one pan only instead of separating it into 2
and I’ll do the other one in 2 of the 9 inch pans I have and see if it hurts the cake or not.