Shortening for FOndant
Posted: 28 January 2008 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2008-01-09

I know this has been answered before but I can’t seem to find the answer.  Does anyone know which type/brand of shortening to use since the non trans fat ones don’t work well with Rose’s fondant recipe?

What is it about non transfat shortenings that prevent from having a good fondant???

Posted: 28 January 2008 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I believe it is spectrum brand, available at whole foods market.

Posted: 28 January 2008 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Yep, Spectrum… I don’t have a Whole Foods in my town, but I found it at my local health food store ($7 for 1.5 lbs).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 January 2008 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-09

Thanks I just got it at my local O’Briens.  I also found a Health Store that has it but they were out and will re order. 

But does anyone know why it works if it also has no trans fat???

Posted: 29 January 2008 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Not really sure, maybe because it’s not hydrogenated (???).

I think Zach was the one who first realized it was a good substitution - maybe he has an idea why it works.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 January 2008 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2007-11-18

ROSE V:
  Good morning. Yes, Spectrum is a good choice. If you cannot secure this item I would like to mention that I was at our local Wal-mart store the other day. I noticed that they carried the CRISCO brand of old but it was only in a very large can. I think it was about 6 pound size. In any event if you should decide to try the private super-market brands…READ the LABEL for the list of ingredients. Why, because many contain animal fats. I know the Wal-mart brand does. Many brands have the same ingredients
as the old Crisco can had. I thought you would like to know all of this. Enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID. cool hmm

Posted: 29 January 2008 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-09

Hmmm, your’e right. that’s the only difference…  Well as long as it works that’s all that matters right now - cake is due this Saturday. smile  I just made 10lb of fondant and actually loved how it felt as I kneaded it.  What a difference such a small change makes!!  smile

Posted: 29 January 2008 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-09
~FRESHKID - 29 January 2008 04:08 PM

ROSE V:
  Good morning. Yes, Spectrum is a good choice. If you cannot secure this item I would like to mention that I was at our local Wal-mart store the other day. I noticed that they carried the CRISCO brand of old but it was only in a very large can. I think it was about 6 pound size. In any event if you should decide to try the private super-market brands…READ the LABEL for the list of ingredients. Why, because many contain animal fats. I know the Wal-mart brand does. Many brands have the same ingredients
as the old Crisco can had. I thought you would like to know all of this. Enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID. cool hmm

Yikes!!!  I usually read labels but never noticed that ones on shortening.  I’m not a vegan, but I am alergic to pork especially the fat!  I know, weird…
Not only that, but I know a lot of people who don’t like using lard type shortenings so it’s good to know in cas they ask I can say: “I only use organic veg Shortening!!!”

Posted: 04 February 2008 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-09

Hi, just thought I’d update on this.  I used the spectrum shortening and it worked great.  It was not as hard on my hands as I kneaded and held up much better to the tortures of coloring and formations.  Thanks so much for all the advice, It made the cake great!  Monkeys, gras, banana tree and all!!