Measuring Device from Mr. Wolston
Posted: 07 January 2010 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-01-05

Hi!
I am interested in obtain the measuring device that show Mr. Woltson in the Heavenly Cakes book. Is it something that I could build or can I find it in stores? It looks like 2 rulers connected to each other. I will appreciate your help in this matter.
Thank you!

Posted: 07 January 2010 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2008-01-24

From the picture it looks like Mr. Wolston has used a spring clamp to connect two wooden rules together. In addition I would guess that he has attached some kind of ‘L’ shaped bracket to one end of the vertical rule so that it will stand up. You should be able to put this together with supplies from most hardware stores.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 08 January 2010 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-05

What do you think the device is useful for? I saw Mrs. Rose Levy using the device in one of her videos but I cannot remember very well if is to measure the way the cake have risen.  What do you think?

Posted: 08 January 2010 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2008-01-24

It probably is only useful for making comparisons between recipe variations. For example if you want to know how the amount of baking powder affects the size and shape of the cake you need an objective measurement. Otherwise who really cares if their cake layers are 2” versus 2 1/4”? smile

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 11 January 2010 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-05

Thank you Gene! Since I bought the books I want to have everything, all the equipment necessary to succeed.

‹‹ My Weigh Scales      10 x 3 pans ››