recipe for Chinese almond cookies without shortening or lard
Posted: 08 January 2010 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-09-13

Dear Friends
does anyone know of a light, flaky, crumbly recipe for chinese almond cookies that doesn’t use lard or shortening?
Thanks
Shokat

Posted: 09 January 2010 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

This recipe http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chinese-Restaurant-Almond-Cookies/Detail.aspx says that butter can be substituted for the lard. Let us know if you make them and how they turn out.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

Do not know if the outcome of this will be the “flaky, crumbly” texture you’re after, but these melt in the mouth and my family loves them.  They’re a Chinese New Year staple for us.  And they’re easy.

Almond cookies

120g ground almonds
180g all purpose flour
100g superfine sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
120ml unflavoured oil (corn, canola, sunflower, etc.)

Glaze:  1 egg yolk

Combine all the ingredients.  They will form a crumbly dough.  Use a deep round teaspoon measure, or a teaspoon-sized cookie scoop, and press out little “hemispheres” of the dough.  Alternatively, form evenly-sized little balls with your hands - but because the dough is crumbly, this is not as easy.  Glaze with the egg yolk.  Bake in a preheated oven at 350 deg F or 180 deg C, for 15-20 minutes or until very lightly brown.  Cool completely before storing in airtight containers.

Hope you’ll keep me updated if you try these and like them grin

Posted: 27 January 2010 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-09-13

Dear Little Island
thank you! This was just what I was looking for. smile
I’ll post online to report when I have made them.
Shokat

Posted: 27 January 2010 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

You’re most welcome.  I just made a quadruple batch this evening… lots for giving away and of course for ourselves!  You can get a more melting texture from the cookies by subbing cake flour for about 1/4 of the all-purpose.  They do get quite delicate if you do that though, so handle with care.