Torta de las tres leche
Posted: 11 January 2010 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Has anyone made this cake from RHC? If so, perhaps you can help.  I’m doing it for the bake-along, but my first attempt does not match up to the description “the cake will rise to the top of the pan at the sides”—I’m about 1” less than that.  I have the giant Matfer Balloon whisk, but I find I get a build up of flour in the “middle” of the bowl.  Is this normal?  Also, I heated the eggs/sugar in my bowl using my induction cook top and I heated to very warm (unfortunately I didn’t take a temp here).  Could over heating (didn’t notice curdling or scrambled eggs) be the cause—my eggs were not hot and I constantly whisked?  What about over beating?  The eggs did achieve about 3/4 of the mixer bowl in volume.  Rose does not provide a finished height (mine’s about 2” on average at the sides, perhaps a bit less).  The cake is higher than most I bake in 2” high pans, but not anywhere near the 3” she suggests (doesn’t explicitly state).  I even tried to deduce the height of her cake in the photo (by measuring the diameter of the 9” and then extrapolating) and got around 2.65” at the edges—still mine’s a good 2/3” shorter.  It’s simple enough I may give it a second go—but perhaps with some insight.  My oven temp should be good as I was using my DOT2.

Posted: 11 January 2010 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

One other thing, I noticed the bottom is quite pale and near the color of the photo in the book.  It tested done (didn’t fall—thankfully, as a further reduction in height would be deflating…).  I used my Magic Line cheesecake pan and baked on the rack 2nd from the bottom.  Perhaps I should go to the next lower rack, or increase the temp?  (although, my thermometer is reading 350F).

Posted: 11 January 2010 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Sherrie, I baked this cake a few months ago, here’s one quote that might help you out:  “I was able to bake this nicely in a 2.5? springform with a parchment collar (calls for a 3? pan), and my finished height before trimming the crust was 2 5/8.”  This matches with your extrapolation (2.625 = 2 5/8”).

Here’s the full post:
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1474/

It’s a wonderful cake, everyone I served it to raved about it and said it was even better than our local Peruvian restaurant, which is noted for theirs.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 11 January 2010 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Sherrie - 11 January 2010 08:45 PM

I have the giant Matfer Balloon whisk, but I find I get a build up of flour in the “middle” of the bowl.  Is this normal? .

I think it works best if you shake out the center of the whisk every other pass or so.  I also make one or two passes with a spatula, to scrape any heavy stuff off the bottom (though this cake has no butter or chocolate, so that might not be as important).

Also, I heated the eggs/sugar in my bowl using my induction cook top and I heated to very warm (unfortunately I didn’t take a temp here).

I read in Shirley Corriher’s Bakewise that eggs do not need to be super-warm to achieve the best volume, you don’t need to go over 110F.

What about over beating?  The eggs did achieve about 3/4 of the mixer bowl in volume.

I’m assuming you weighed the eggs, is that right?  How long did you beat the eggs for?  It is possible to over-beat, especially at low or high speed.  According to Ms. Corriher, you can beat for quite some time at medium speed- she tells of Roland Mesnier’s genoise, which goes for 18 minutes!

Signature 

Posted: 11 January 2010 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks, Julie for your prompt and detailed replies.  I do shake (or allow it to fall out) the whisk quite often and do a spatula pass at the end.  I find the flour just sort of collects in the middle.  I followed the directions and beat at high for 5 mins.  I did cut out a small slice of cake and it has a slightly dense layer at the bottom.  Perhaps I underfolded (?) the flour in?  I am always so concerned with deflating the batter…I thought I was over doing it.  Also, could be the oven position/temp, but I really think the temp is pretty good as I’ve had decent results with other cakes.  Of course, I weigh everything…so much easier.

May I also add that your cake is stunning.  I have some left over caramel sauce from the pumpkin cheesecake in the fridge I was half considering as a garnish….I see there is a like minded garnisher out there smile  Would you suggest a longer beat time at medium?

Posted: 11 January 2010 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Trial #2…well I don’t think I achieved any greater volume this time (still about 1/2 ful in pan…maybe less).  Heated eggs and sugar to 110F..but here’s the kicker, I used a different whisk to fold.  It’s smaller in diameter than the Matfer whisk, but the tines are further apart.  It hardly deflates the batter at all.  However, when I started folding the second half of the flour, I noticed it went from being about 2/3 up the bowl to about 1/2 way up the bowl.  Does this mean my eggs need to beat longer yet (I did as the recipe indicates, 5 min. at high)? 

It’s still not out of the oven…will see.  Am baking at the same temp, just a rack lower.

Posted: 11 January 2010 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Out of the oven it is slightly higher, but not by much.  The “crack” is more developed, but compared to the coloring in the book, it’s pale.  I wonder if another 25F might be the way to go?  It also achieved it’s height fairly quickly compared to my 1st attempt.

Posted: 12 January 2010 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Sherrie, for some reason your posts are not showing up when I click on “view new posts”, I almost missed your replies in this thread and in the pie lattice thread.  I’ll email the administrators about it, but if I miss something please feel free to PM me.

About your Tres Leches…  Are you using a Kitchen Aid or similarly powerful machine and a whisk attachment to whip the eggs?  When I was using a little Sunbeam I had to double beating times for sponge cakes. 

Assuming that you are, I think the most likely issue is folding.  There is some deflation while folding, that is built into the recipe.  Check Rose’s video on genoise or angel food to see her pattern of movements for folding.  You may need to fold a little longer, with this batter it isn’t easy to see when there are no streaks left. 

Oven temp- you’ve baked other Rose cakes and they’ve come out OK, is that right?  With a sponge cake it is better to err on the side of a little too hot than too cool, but an overly hot oven can also result in a short cake.

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2010 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Julie,

Your perseverence with me on this is appreciated.  Weird about the new posts bit…As far as the Tres Leches, I’m using a Kitchen Aid Artisan, so there are no concerns there.  I also suspect a folding issue, and I have watched the you tube video…I, for some reason, tend to have issues with sponge cakes.  Now as far as the oven temp, I have a DOT 2 and adjust my oven accordingly.  When I bake cakes in my Chicago Metallic Pro pans (with Rose strips), I find that they are done in the minimum time and often have sloped sides and sometimes I overbake.  I have made a note that my next cake in these pans should be baked at a lower temp—I think the dark color is a factor even though Rose says she doesn’t adjust the temperature.  So I think my oven temp should be ok.  I’m trying to think of another way to test it without buying another thermometer—the DOT 2 is supposedly good, so I think I’m on the right track.  Could another issue be my pan?  I’m using an almost new Magic Line cheesecake pan with removable bottom.  The bottom was still not browned—I decided to use the cake anyway and it was quite gummy on the bottom—but the cake underneath seemed spongy. 

I have one other thought, I’ve sometimes had genoise stick to the pan and get stuck and I think this sometimes prevents the cake from fully rising.  I’m using Baker’s Joy.  How much should I be using?  Is the pan heavily coated or lightly?

Posted: 12 January 2010 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Sherrie - 12 January 2010 06:36 PM

I, for some reason, tend to have issues with sponge cakes.

I admit, apart from folding, I’m a little stumped.  What problems do you generally have with sponge-type cakes?  Did you use cake flour, or bleached all purpose?  You didn’t use unbleached, right?  And you’re weighing everything and sifting the flour into the bowl of whipped eggs?

Now as far as the oven temp, I have a DOT 2 and adjust my oven accordingly.

It’s funny, I have the same thermometer and mine runs hot, too.  I have a tendency to overbake, I find my particular CDN DOT2 is about 25 F too hot.  You could try a slightly lower reading on the DOT2.

Could another issue be my pan?  I’m using an almost new Magic Line cheesecake pan with removable bottom.  The bottom was still not browned—I decided to use the cake anyway and it was quite gummy on the bottom—but the cake underneath seemed spongy.

I haven’t used these pans, but sponge cakes do tend to have gummy crusts.  Often they come off (at least partially) with the parchment, then you trim the rest (top and bottom crusts, not sides).

I have one other thought, I’ve sometimes had genoise stick to the pan and get stuck and I think this sometimes prevents the cake from fully rising.  I’m using Baker’s Joy.  How much should I be using?  Is the pan heavily coated or lightly?

I remember with this one being happy that I had planned to frost the sides because mine were not as clean and attractive as the photo in the book.  Sponge cakes stick to the pan more in general than butter cakes, but I think a normal amount of Baker’s Joy is fine, no need to douse it or anything.

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2010 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Julie, you deserve a medal of some sort for sticking this out.  I use Swan’s Down Cake flour and sift it once and then again into the whipped eggs.  As far as the oven temperature, I think my oven has a high “swing” and even though the oven is set at 350F, it’s usually about 25 F less on my thermometer—I don’t think it ever goes warmer than 350F when it’s set to 350F.  When I set it to 375F, my DOT 2 is 350F.  The oven shows what temperature its reading when you reset it—I do this sometimes and when it’s set to 375F, it rarely reads more than 350F when I check it.  I think the thermostat is right on my oven, it just has a huge swing for acceptable temperatures and it never goes over the set temperature.  This cake was very pale compared to the cake shown in RHC—-yet I do believe it was done and did not fall.

I suspect folding issues and/or my eggs lacked stability.  Not sure what I will do different next time.  I did have some of the completed cake today and it was flavourful, but the crumb was coarse and a bit dense…not exactly fluffy, although I’ve never had this cake before (But I will keep my eyes peeled for it to compare).  As far as other issues with sponge…you should check out my genoise saga on the Blog “Fear of Genoise”—-long story smile

Thanks for your assistance…I’ve got the Tweed Angel Cake that I’ve made once with reasonable success ahead and also the Devil’s Food (using the online update) in the next couple of weeks!

Posted: 26 June 2010 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21
Sherrie - 13 January 2010 04:13 AM

Julie, you deserve a medal of some sort for sticking this out.  I use Swan’s Down Cake flour and sift it once and then again into the whipped eggs.  As far as the oven temperature, I think my oven has a high “swing” and even though the oven is set at 350F, it’s usually about 25 F less on my thermometer—I don’t think it ever goes warmer than 350F when it’s set to 350F.  When I set it to 375F, my DOT 2 is 350F.  The oven shows what temperature its reading when you reset it—I do this sometimes and when it’s set to 375F, it rarely reads more than 350F when I check it.  I think the thermostat is right on my oven, it just has a huge swing for acceptable temperatures and it never goes over the set temperature.  This cake was very pale compared to the cake shown in RHC—-yet I do believe it was done and did not fall.

I suspect folding issues and/or my eggs lacked stability.  Not sure what I will do different next time.  I did have some of the completed cake today and it was flavourful, but the crumb was coarse and a bit dense…not exactly fluffy, although I’ve never had this cake before (But I will keep my eyes peeled for it to compare).  As far as other issues with sponge…you should check out my genoise saga on the Blog “Fear of Genoise”—-long story smile

Thanks for your assistance…I’ve got the Tweed Angel Cake that I’ve made once with reasonable success ahead and also the Devil’s Food (using the online update) in the next couple of weeks!

Sherrie - I have been fighting with oven temps, quarry tiles, having oven techs out and conversations - almost altercations, with them over the fact that my oven must be set on 365 in order for the oven-temp thermometer to reach 350. I bought and OXO therm from Williams Sonoma that produced the low reading and took it back the next day, bringing home a Taylor that did the same thing. The tech talked about the difference between electric and mercury gobbledygook and told me to go by the stove reading and not pay attn to the thermometer since the oven has hot that are normal. This information, combined with Hector’s positive suggestions about using quarry tiles to produce oven even heat distribution has caused me to give up. I baked the rose genoise as instructed the other night and it did come out perfectly. I also watched Rose’s June 2 You tube. She does make the folding look easy, doesn’t she? Oh well, we’ll just have to keep on keepin’ on.
I am getting ready to attack the Tres Leches and Julie had told me about hers so I came in search of that and the oven gods have sent me here!

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 26 June 2010 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21
Joan - 26 June 2010 05:31 PM
Sherrie - 13 January 2010 04:13 AM

Sherrie - I have been fighting with oven temps, quarry tiles, having oven techs out and conversations - almost altercations, with them over the fact that my oven must be set on 365 in order for the oven-temp thermometer to reach 350. I bought and OXO therm from Williams Sonoma that produced the low reading and took it back the next day, bringing home a Taylor that did the same thing. The tech talked about the difference between electric and mercury gobbledygook and told me to go by the stove reading and not pay attn to the thermometer since the oven has hot that are normal. This information, combined with Hector’s positive suggestions about using quarry tiles to produce oven even heat distribution has caused me to give up. I baked the rose genoise as instructed the other night and it did come out perfectly. I also watched Rose’s June 2 You tube. She does make the folding look easy, doesn’t she? Oh well, we’ll just have to keep on keepin’ on.
I am getting ready to attack the Tres Leches and Julie had told me about hers so I came in search of that and the oven gods have sent me here!

Oh, and I do now have quarry tiles on top and bottom and even one on shelf baking the cake on!

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com