Creme Anglaise consistency (for SMBC) and RHC caramel sauce consistency
Posted: 11 January 2010 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07

Hi Everyone,

I just finished making 4 batches of SMBC this weekend in caramel, mocha, strawberry (using Rose’s pureed conserve), and lavendar. All were yummy and now I know why everyone likes the caramel so much (but the lavendar is my favorite—I use La cuisine’s lavendar essence).

My question comes in here: As I was watching a cooking show this weekend, the chef made a creme anglaise in a double boiler. Hers came out thick like store bought lemon curd. The creme anglaise I make for the SMBC never comes out that thick-it is always a little runny like heavy cream. So I am wondering when making the CA for the SMBC what should the consistency be. TCB doesn’t explain or give a description of the final creme anglaise. TCB says to make the CA in a sturdy heavy bottom pan on medium low heat. Does anyone make their CA in a double boiler or do you follow TCB instructions.

Second, I made the Caramel sauce for the pumkin cheesecake from RHC and it came out too thick. I followed the directions exactly, weighing everything, measuring all the temps correctly, and the cooled glaze was unpourable, turning out like caramel candy chews you buy at the candy store. I thinned it out by melting the thick caramel in hot cream and it came out perfect. Has anyone else had this problem. The only thing I can think of is that I did used organic heavy whipping cream (which was very thick). The recipe calls for heavy cream, but I never see heavy cream in the stores, only whipping cream and heavy whipping cream. Are these not the same product.

TIA
Susan

Posted: 11 January 2010 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Thick as curd sounds way too thick for what I would call creme anglaise.  Sounds like the person over cooked it to me.

Posted: 11 January 2010 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I always think of it like ice cream bases—just thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and leave a trace mark.

Posted: 11 January 2010 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07
Matthew - 11 January 2010 09:50 PM

I always think of it like ice cream bases—just thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and leave a trace mark.

Thanks. This is exactly how mine turns out.