Another Article on the Importance of a Kitchen Scale
Posted: 14 January 2010 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

I just came across this article on the internet, which may help convince anyone who is still waffling to buy a scale. http://www.thecitycook.com/cooking/advice/essential_kitchen/000019

I’m awaiting arrival of a My Weigh KD-8000 scale. Can’t wait to use it. My current scale is 30 years old! Not digital. Doesn’t have the tare function, but does weigh in metric and Imperial. It says “Made in Denmark”, but doesn’t give the name of the manufacturer. Maybe it is ready for a culinary museum. It was a Christmas present from my husband many years ago, as is the My Weigh scale.

It has been dropped several times and had bumpy moves following us to different homes. I’ve periodically used a simple test to determine if my current scale is still accurate by weighing a pound of butter. (This test is based on the assumption that all the major butter producer are selling true pound weights.) Then I know how much to adjust the scale. Once the My Weigh arrives, I don’t expect to have to test it and make adjustments anymore.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 14 January 2010 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you, Kathleen for posting this..  There are some good ideas/suggestions in this article. My KD8000 arrived a few days ago and already I have used it to make a smaller recipe cake and to make the large amount of buttercream. 

I really enjoyed being able to weigh my chocolate

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 15 January 2010 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

That is a good article Kathleen.  I began using a scale regularly for baking only back in December, but quickly realized I needed a digital scale and bought the KD 8000.  I love it.  All my baking is coming out perfect, and my husband began weighing when he got his Bread Bible for Christmas - a selfish purchase on my part smile.  He cannot believe how well all the different breads are coming out. 

Our son gave us a gift of fresh, organic fed beef for Christmas from a local rancher, and he had to purchase it over the phone, and trust they would give what he paid for.  My husband than weighed the meat on our new scale, and they not only gave us what they said, they were actually a few pounds over. 

Today I am baking my second Angel Food Cake in one week, being at 3000 feet we are sometimes subject to the high altitude problems, but for some recipes not.  I made a few minor adjustments, and the cake came out perfect, I am sure it is because my ingredients are weighed.  It is amazing the differences I find in ingredients.

Thanks for sharing it.

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 16 January 2010 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Thanks Kathleen, that was a good article, I passed it on as well. I just received my KD-7000 not long ago and when I made an ice cream recipe I’d been using with it, big difference. It wasn’t bad before but it certainly was much better when using the scale!

‹‹ Heart Shaped Pan      Hobart 20 qt ››