Bread not “chewy” - low gluten flour?
Posted: 29 January 2008 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-11-18

Hi Rose,

I am located in Australia and using the Bread Bible recipes. I have made several breads from the book however all of the cooked doughs seem to be more like little holes inside, rather than “tearing”. For example, I made the Prosciutto ring and in your picture you can see that it tears and the bread has a ripped sort of look. Whereas with my bread, they dont seem to have the “stretch” in the dough. It doesnt seem strong. I hope I am explaining myself ok. This has also been the same experience with clover leaf rolls, pullman loaf, cinnamon raisin loaf.

My initial thought is that the flour we have in Australia does not have a high gluten content and so it is not developing during mixing. I use a KA mixer and knead for the amount of time specified - even longer. I also use Organic All purpose flour where stated - as opposed to bread flour. Basically I use what is called for in the recipe - but substitute brands which are available over here.  We have the italian tipo 00 flour available here. Should I use that?  Can you suggest any changes I might make to overcome this problem.

Signature 

Ms Onironi wink

Posted: 29 January 2008 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

Hi, thanks for that. Yes, it is unbleached. I have looked at the label which says the amount of protein is 10g per 100g. The bread flour for that same brand is 11g per 100g and the italian tipo 00 is 11.2g per 100g. I will have a look in the BB to see how these compare with US flours. The flour is purchased fresh. What does bread improver do? Is this the same as Vital Wheat Gluten? Thankyou for your reply.

Signature 

Ms Onironi wink

Posted: 01 February 2008 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

Thanks. I will try experimenting a little and see how that goes. It is good advice.

Signature 

Ms Onironi wink

Posted: 01 February 2008 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

I will try a longer rise today. I might do it in the fridge. It is a bit hard to control the rise here at the moment as I am in Western Australia and we are having a hot summer and also very humid. It probably is making a difference to the flour. I am also going to try working with a stickier dough and as you suggest, make the same recipe over and over to see how it turns out.

Cant wait to try the recipe you supplied. Thanks.

Signature 

Ms Onironi wink