2 of 2
Help! Decorating a baptism cake..
Posted: 30 January 2010 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1215
Joined  2009-11-24

I think the cake is very pretty….. very pretty.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 30 January 2010 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

The cake is lovely! And what a great recovery job.

Posted: 31 January 2010 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-01-10

Oh my gosh thanks so much everyone for your support and encouragement - I was embarrassed because I’ve seen so many beautiful cakes here and know mine isn’t anywhere up to the professional looking standard of everyone else’s!  It’s been such a wonderful learning experience though, and I’m really glad I took up the challenge =)  And I’m really keen to give plaques another go in the future too (and will practice more at piping text as well lol).

I never dreamed there could be such lovely people out there - the lady at my local cake decorating supply store is really scary so I hardly ever ask her for advice - next time I will know where to go.  Thanks again! =D

Posted: 31 January 2010 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2010-01-18

Hi again Kitstar! Thanks for telling us all about your stressful but absolutely hilarious Cake Decorating experience! LOL I laughed so hard I almost wet myself - I can sooo totally identify with your crisis! I too have had many cakes in the oven very late at nights, and laid down to doze with one ear waiting for the “done” signal… When I told my hubby all about your experience (I had kept him abreast of the thread’s postings), he replied with some surprise - “I thought those kinds of things only happened to you!?!”... yeah - cake decorating can definitely stretch a person’s patience and fray one’s nerves! But meeting those challenges, overcoming the obstacles with creativity - and not losing one’s sense of humour or passion for it along the way - that’s what sets bakers like you apart! You did a simply beautiful job of the cake - under extremely tough circumstances and timeline. Congratulations! Great to hear that it has been an encouragement - and that you look forward to developing your talents even further in future! All the best to you! (I too think it is just awesome to have this wonderful gang of talented, knowledgeable and helpful people available to share advice and encourage one another in our culinary endeavours!) After hearing about your near-catastrophe - I think my new motto will be - “Always keep a spare cake in the deepfreeze!”

PS: if you scallop the edges of your plaques with cute little scallop cutters or even pastry wheel, or frame them in piping, they look a bit less like a tombstone. Lastly - if you want to have a smooth, thin, brightly coloured surface, try using “Candy Clay” made of candy melts. It is a lovely and quite yummy alternative to gum paste or fondant,and is a lot of fun to work with - like playdoh! smile That is what I used on the Cherry Red Wedding Cake, and also the Shoeboxes!

Posted: 31 January 2010 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

Thanks for sharing your story.  I love the part about the foam cake.  Hilarious!  Your finished cake was beautiful.

2 of 2